PDA

View Full Version : Cisco FXO ---> PSTN volume problem

Alan
July 1st 03, 01:45 PM
Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me - I have a 2600 router with Vic-2FXO
card installed and configured. All is working great, except that when
a call is made to the PSTN (via the FXO card) callers on the PSTN side
can barely hear the IP-Phone end of the conversation.

I have tried increasing the input gain right up to the max (14) which
seems to have helped a little but the volume level at the PSTN side of
the call is still poor. IP Phone to IP Phone calls sound perfect - so
does a PSTN call from the IP Phone end of the conversation.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Alan.

RC
July 1st 03, 04:54 PM
Let's start by being absolutely sure there is nothing wrong with the cabling
or the carrier. Unplug the line at the FXO card and plug in an analog phone,
make some test calls. Any problems?

--
Randall Cohen
Sr. Systems Engineer

Alan
July 1st 03, 05:48 PM
Hi Randall,

there are absolutely no problems making calls with a standard telephone.

> Let's start by being absolutely sure there is nothing wrong with the
cabling
> or the carrier. Unplug the line at the FXO card and plug in an analog
phone,
> make some test calls. Any problems?
>
> > I wonder if someone can help me - I have a 2600 router with Vic-2FXO
> > card installed and configured. All is working great, except that when
> > a call is made to the PSTN (via the FXO card) callers on the PSTN side
> > can barely hear the IP-Phone end of the conversation.
> >
> > I have tried increasing the input gain right up to the max (14) which
> > seems to have helped a little but the volume level at the PSTN side of
> > the call is still poor. IP Phone to IP Phone calls sound perfect - so
> > does a PSTN call from the IP Phone end of the conversation.
>
> --
> Randall Cohen
> Sr. Systems Engineer
> Alternative Communication Systems, Inc.
> ( Phone: (781) 449 3377
> 2 Fax: (781) 449 5792
> , Email: [email protected]<no spam>acsvoicedata.com
> * Post: 220-19 Reservoir St.
> Needham, MA 02494-3133

RC
July 2nd 03, 12:55 AM
That doesn't leave much. Bad hardware (the FXO card) or possible a
software/firmware issue.
What are you running for compression? Phone to phone and phone to trunk? If
they are different, try changing so that the same compression is used. This
won't solve anything, but it might help to confirm that it's not the trunk.
Have you checked for updates to your IOS and phone firmware?
"Alan" > wrote in message ...
> Hi Randall,
>
> there are absolutely no problems making calls with a standard telephone.
>
> > Let's start by being absolutely sure there is nothing wrong with the
> cabling
> > or the carrier. Unplug the line at the FXO card and plug in an analog
> phone,
> > make some test calls. Any problems?
> >
> > > I wonder if someone can help me - I have a 2600 router with Vic-2FXO
> > > card installed and configured. All is working great, except that when
> > > a call is made to the PSTN (via the FXO card) callers on the PSTN side
> > > can barely hear the IP-Phone end of the conversation.
> > >
> > > I have tried increasing the input gain right up to the max (14) which
> > > seems to have helped a little but the volume level at the PSTN side of
> > > the call is still poor. IP Phone to IP Phone calls sound perfect - so
> > > does a PSTN call from the IP Phone end of the conversation.
> >
> > --
> > Randall Cohen
> > Sr. Systems Engineer
> > Alternative Communication Systems, Inc.
> > ( Phone: (781) 449 3377
> > 2 Fax: (781) 449 5792
> > , Email: [email protected]<no spam>acsvoicedata.com
> > * Post: 220-19 Reservoir St.
> > Needham, MA 02494-3133

Google