PDA

View Full Version : voice NOT over IP, but over GSM

Stefan Poehn
July 3rd 03, 03:18 PM
Hi

sorry for being slightly offtopic:
do you know any softphone application that works with GSM cards
(or COM port to any modem) instead of IP?
I know this does not make sense in most cases, since you can use an
ordinary phone, but in our case it really makes sense :-)

Thanks
Stefan

Peter
July 3rd 03, 05:39 PM
> sorry for being slightly offtopic:
> do you know any softphone application that works with GSM cards
> (or COM port to any modem) instead of IP?
> I know this does not make sense in most cases, since you can use an
> ordinary phone, but in our case it really makes sense :-)

Don't think it will work, GSM data usually is terribly laggy. Plus it's 9.6
kbit/s unless you go HSCD route... And GPRS is even worse, data seems to
come in in 5kb chunks or so...

Peter

Aaron Leonard
July 3rd 03, 09:26 PM
If you can't do voice over GSM, then please explain to
me how it happens that my mobile phone works!

Aaron

---

~
~ Don't think it will work, GSM data usually is terribly laggy. Plus it's 9.6
~ kbit/s unless you go HSCD route... And GPRS is even worse, data seems to
~ come in in 5kb chunks or so...
~
~ Peter
~

Peter
July 4th 03, 05:02 PM
> Can't we use an interface to a _voice_ service directly to the GSM card
> without using any data structures for encapsulating the voice stream in
> data stream?

Then it won't be VoIP ;) But yes, technically this should be possible. My
phone & laptop has Bluetooth and there is an option to use computer as audio
gateway. This means I should be able to use speakers & mic to talk when
hooked up to the phone

Peter

Aaron Leonard
July 7th 03, 11:46 PM
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:02:37 -0600, "Peter" > wrote:

~ > Can't we use an interface to a _voice_ service directly to the GSM card
~ > without using any data structures for encapsulating the voice stream in
~ > data stream?
~
~ Then it won't be VoIP ;)

Well, note the subject in this thread (as opposed to the newsgroup name ...)

It looks like here's an instance of what the original poster is
looking for:

Ubinetics GC201 GSM PCMCIA Phone Card (for Laptops Only)

http://www.expansys.us/product.asp?code=UBIN-GC201-LTOP

Aaron

Stefan Poehn
July 9th 03, 09:05 AM
"Aaron Leonard" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:02:37 -0600, "Peter" > wrote:
>
> Well, note the subject in this thread (as opposed to the newsgroup name
....)

sorry for being off topic, but I hope it's not too far off topic.
Please tell me if it is unbearable for you, then I will stop to
write postings in this thread.

> It looks like here's an instance of what the original poster is
> looking for:
>
> Ubinetics GC201 GSM PCMCIA Phone Card (for Laptops Only)
>
> http://www.expansys.us/product.asp?code=UBIN-GC201-LTOP

Yes, that would be one of the cards we would like to use. We already
have the Nokia Phone Card, that does the job, too. What we are
looking for, is a softphone application that does not (only) allow
voice over ip, but over gsm.

Stefan

Google