PDA

View Full Version : Asterisk ...are there system houses that sell ready made systems?

hello_r
August 8th 03, 01:21 PM
Greetings everyone!
I have heard a lot about asterisk (mostly on this forum) and had a chance
to explore there website as well. It sounds too technical for a VoIP
newbie. Anyone knows if there are system houses that sell customized
Asterisk systems? I would love to have a PBX with 2/4 FXO and 8/16 FXS
at a budget cost based on Asterisk (for unlimited felxibility).

On another note, I am fairly familier with the technology and stuff.
How much knowledge do I need in order to assemble my own box. (I have
played a little with Linux and assembled my own PC etc.) And what
is your approximate guess-timate for a 2 FXO, 8 FXS system?

Any help from you asterisk gurus would be highly appreciated.

Beep
August 8th 03, 02:19 PM
Since you do get your hands dirty by playing with Linux, why not devote a
little of your time to download/compile/install asterisk to give it a try.
Who knows you will learn more by doing so.

For me, it did not take up my time to learn on how to compile, install, and
running asterisk, ymmv.

hello_r wrote:

> Greetings everyone!
> I have heard a lot about asterisk (mostly on this forum) and had a chance
> to explore there website as well. It sounds too technical for a VoIP
> newbie. Anyone knows if there are system houses that sell customized
> Asterisk systems? I would love to have a PBX with 2/4 FXO and 8/16 FXS
> at a budget cost based on Asterisk (for unlimited felxibility).
>
> On another note, I am fairly familier with the technology and stuff.
> How much knowledge do I need in order to assemble my own box. (I have
> played a little with Linux and assembled my own PC etc.) And what
> is your approximate guess-timate for a 2 FXO, 8 FXS system?
>
> Any help from you asterisk gurus would be highly appreciated.

Brian Jones
August 8th 03, 05:04 PM
Even if you buy a prebuilt system, you will probably most likely want to
familarize yourself as much as possible with the setup, including
administering Asterisk itself, as well as the Linux box overall, because
supporting your PBX will be a nightmare if something goes wrong.

Learn as much as you can! It only took me about an hour to get my linux
box going (using Debian). The Asterisk install as I recall was pretty
straight forward (I might have had to install some extra libs, but that
only took an apt-get install whateverlib-dev). It only took me a day or
two to debug some problems I was having with SIP, and that is currently
where I am right now (new SIP problems ;)).

Brian.

hello_r wrote:
> Greetings everyone!
> I have heard a lot about asterisk (mostly on this forum) and had a chance
> to explore there website as well. It sounds too technical for a VoIP
> newbie. Anyone knows if there are system houses that sell customized
> Asterisk systems? I would love to have a PBX with 2/4 FXO and 8/16 FXS
> at a budget cost based on Asterisk (for unlimited felxibility).
>
> On another note, I am fairly familier with the technology and stuff.
> How much knowledge do I need in order to assemble my own box. (I have
> played a little with Linux and assembled my own PC etc.) And what
> is your approximate guess-timate for a 2 FXO, 8 FXS system?
>
> Any help from you asterisk gurus would be highly appreciated.

Google