PDA

View Full Version : IP Phones Featue Poor ?

David Klemitz
August 20th 03, 07:19 AM
Hi Folks,

I have a question concerning the vendors of IP Pones
who also sell PABX products.

Would it not be the case that companies like Avaya,
Nortel and Siemens have been forced to use their
proprietary signalling encapsulated in an IP packet
in order to support the full range of telephony features
supported by their PBX platform ?

My (limited) understanding is H323 supports a very limited
set of features that you may wish to use. Does SIP come into
the equation? Are there 'feature rich' IP phones out there
independant of a PABX ?

thanks

David Klemitz

Tobias Erichsen
August 20th 03, 10:12 AM
"David Klemitz" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a question concerning the vendors of IP Pones
> who also sell PABX products.
>
> Would it not be the case that companies like Avaya,
> Nortel and Siemens have been forced to use their
> proprietary signalling encapsulated in an IP packet
> in order to support the full range of telephony features
> supported by their PBX platform ?

There are quite a few supplementary services defined
in H.450.1 through H.450.12 and others still in the
works. Those specs support stuff like call-diversion,
call-transfer, caller-name, message-waiting, call-intrusion,
call-completion...

There are some features not available yet - and for those
it is obviously necessary to implement vendor specific
functionality. H.450 provides for a mechanism to support
vendor-specific functions. So any vendor could implement
all features supported by H.450.x using the standard to
be able to interop and implement the rest proprietary.

The point is that most pbx-companies don't care to do
so, because they don't really want open systems. They
want closed systems as much as they can to be the only
one able to sell equipment for this infrastructure.

> My (limited) understanding is H323 supports a very limited
> set of features that you may wish to use. Does SIP come into
> the equation? Are there 'feature rich' IP phones out there
> independant of a PABX ?

Take a look at www.innovaphone.de or www.snom.de for
feature-rich h.323 phones - there are others, but these
are the ones I have most experience with...

Tobias

Google