PDA

View Full Version : Dialpad is a SCAM?

Pollock
October 6th 03, 08:28 AM
Has anyone else has concluded like me - Dialpad is essentially a scam?

I recently signed up, paying $15 for my subscription. What a
disappointment! Though I could hear well, my callers couldn't hear a
word I said. They kept on putting down the phone in frustration. I
e-mailed Dialpad. I got standard replies, not tailored to my case. I
tried to call Dialpad. Endless call waiting. No way of getting
through. Finally, after being deluged with e-mails, Dialpad said that
they would call me. They never did, although I sent them reminder
notes.

That's what I call a scam! They take subscribers' money. They don't
deliver. They don't provide any way of getting service. They're $15
richer, having delivered nothing.

They claim to have 2 million customers. Two times fifteen, that's a
take on this scam of 30 million dollars, minimum.

The moral of the story? Don't sign up to Dialpad! If you do, they'll
take your money, and you've got no recourse.

Be warned by my experience.

It's REALLY frustrating. I mean, I signed up in good faith. This
seemed like a reputable company. But no, it's just a scam.

Miguel Cruz
October 6th 03, 08:47 AM
Pollock > wrote:
> Has anyone else has concluded like me - Dialpad is essentially a scam?

Dunno about that, but I signed up for the free service with a unique email
address (I generate a new address for each web site that requests it) and I
have been receiving a fair amount of spam directed to that address.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Pollock
October 7th 03, 06:58 AM
It's not the Dialpad spam issue I'm concerned about. That well known
Dialpad irritation I can deal with, using Mailwasher. The Dialpad
service I signed up to was not free. Far from it. I paid my money
for Dialpad, but Dialpad didn't give me any service.

Anyone using Dialpad to call the U.S. from an overseas location
beware. Dialpad takes your money, but Dialpad gives you no customer
support! None!

Dialpad just takes your money and runs! Dialpad is the worst rip-off
in internet telephony!

NO SPAMMERS
October 7th 03, 06:29 PM
Miguel Cruz wrote:

> Pollock > wrote:
>> Has anyone else has concluded like me - Dialpad is essentially a scam?
>
> Dunno about that, but I signed up for the free service with a unique email
> address (I generate a new address for each web site that requests it) and
> I have been receiving a fair amount of spam directed to that address.
>
> miguel

Does DialPad still offer free service? I used to have a DialPad account and
made lots of free calls to the US. However, since DialPad has started to
charge for the calls, I never use the account anymore. When it comes for a
free service, regardless how bad is the services is so long as I can still
place the calls, I can't complain. However, if you had to pay for the
service that you don't get even though after you have filed for complains,
the only suggestion I can think of is to terminate your subscription. That
way, you won't be streesed out to keep making complaints.

--
NO_SPAMMERS

October 7th 03, 07:10 PM
No Voip is worth a squat unless you are connected via broadband. Dialpad
says as much in their FAQ.

Pollock wrote:

> Has anyone else has concluded like me - Dialpad is essentially a scam?
>
> I recently signed up, paying $15 for my subscription. What a
> disappointment! Though I could hear well, my callers couldn't hear a
> word I said. They kept on putting down the phone in frustration. I
> e-mailed Dialpad. I got standard replies, not tailored to my case. I
> tried to call Dialpad. Endless call waiting. No way of getting
> through. Finally, after being deluged with e-mails, Dialpad said that
> they would call me. They never did, although I sent them reminder
> notes.
>
> That's what I call a scam! They take subscribers' money. They don't
> deliver. They don't provide any way of getting service. They're $15
> richer, having delivered nothing.
>
> They claim to have 2 million customers. Two times fifteen, that's a
> take on this scam of 30 million dollars, minimum.
>
> The moral of the story? Don't sign up to Dialpad! If you do, they'll
> take your money, and you've got no recourse.
>
> Be warned by my experience.
>
> It's REALLY frustrating. I mean, I signed up in good faith. This
> seemed like a reputable company. But no, it's just a scam.

Pollock
October 8th 03, 01:28 AM
wrote in message >...
> No Voip is worth a squat unless you are connected via broadband. Dialpad
> says as much in their FAQ.

I AM connected via broadband. This is NOT the issue.

October 8th 03, 07:30 PM
Pollock wrote:

> wrote in message >...
> > No Voip is worth a squat unless you are connected via broadband. Dialpad
> > says as much in their FAQ.
>
> I AM connected via broadband. This is NOT the issue.

Then, get rid of it and try Vonage. It works great.

Pollock
October 9th 03, 01:43 PM
> > I AM connected via broadband. This is NOT the issue.
>
> Then, get rid of it and try Vonage. It works great.

I'm not sure that I can use Vonage for calls from the Philippines. It
looks like it's focused a) on calls within the U.S. and b) calls from
the U.S. to the rest of the world.

Miguel Cruz
October 9th 03, 07:13 PM
Pollock > wrote:
>>> I AM connected via broadband. This is NOT the issue.
>>
>> Then, get rid of it and try Vonage. It works great.
>
> I'm not sure that I can use Vonage for calls from the Philippines. It
> looks like it's focused a) on calls within the U.S. and b) calls from
> the U.S. to the rest of the world.

Also calls TO the US and Canada, assuming you've brought your ATA-186 with
you.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Pollock
October 13th 03, 10:03 AM
> Does DialPad still offer free service? I used to have a DialPad account and
> made lots of free calls to the US. However, since DialPad has started to
> charge for the calls, I never use the account anymore. When it comes for a
> free service, regardless how bad is the services is so long as I can still
> place the calls, I can't complain. However, if you had to pay for the
> service that you don't get even though after you have filed for complains,
> the only suggestion I can think of is to terminate your subscription. That
> way, you won't be streesed out to keep making complaints.

No free service any more.

I complain because
a) It may get me better service from Dialpad;
b) I believe it is a public duty

Pollock
October 13th 03, 10:15 AM
> Does DialPad still offer free service? I used to have a DialPad account and
> made lots of free calls to the US. However, since DialPad has started to
> charge for the calls, I never use the account anymore. When it comes for a
> free service, regardless how bad is the services is so long as I can still
> place the calls, I can't complain. However, if you had to pay for the
> service that you don't get even though after you have filed for complains,
> the only suggestion I can think of is to terminate your subscription. That
> way, you won't be streesed out to keep making complaints.

No free service any more.

I complain because
a) It may get me better service from Dialpad;
b) I believe it is a public duty

John Smith
October 17th 03, 04:44 PM
I've setup a DialPad account (in the US) for my in-law's in India.
They use DialPad regularly to call us and it works fine (there are
times when it's not very clear, but not too often), and they're on a
dialup account. At 4 cents/minute it sure beats AT&T's rate of
42cents/min :).

root
October 18th 03, 04:43 AM
John Smith wrote:

> I've setup a DialPad account (in the US) for my in-law's in India.
> They use DialPad regularly to call us and it works fine (there are
> times when it's not very clear, but not too often), and they're on a
> dialup account. At 4 cents/minute it sure beats AT&T's rate of
> 42cents/min :).

At $0.04/minute is the rate you pay to DialPAD for a PC2Phone service,
right? What about the cost for the dialup in India for your folks? If you
already have a broadband Internet connection, you could have setup your own
VoIP to cut down the cost and still enjoy a better audio quality than
DialPAD can offer you.

I have setup a VoIPBlaster (VB) server (using Fobbit phonebook software) on
my Linux machine for me and my friends + their folks/friends (from some of
the S.E. Asean countries). Currently, my friends' folks can call their VB
devices or vice versa. Their folks/friends only need to pay the dialup
service to their local ISP which costs about US$1/hr or < US$0.0167/minute
(2/5 DialPAD costs). Most of my friends already have broadband connections
here in the US; therefore, their VB devices are always on. In this scheme,
both ends have to have a VB device locally attached to their computers.
This is a Point-2-Point PC2PC call; therefore, the audio quality is next to
the best since the connection is 100% digital between the two VB devices.
The only analog connections are from the VB devices to the (digital
cordless) telephones. However, delays, missing syllabus, and jitterings do
occur.

--
root/administrator

Pollock
October 27th 03, 05:07 PM
Interesting...

> John Smith wrote:
>
> > I've setup a DialPad account (in the US) for my in-law's in India.
> > They use DialPad regularly to call us and it works fine (there are
> > times when it's not very clear, but not too often), and they're on a
> > dialup account. At 4 cents/minute it sure beats AT&T's rate of
> > 42cents/min :).
>
> At $0.04/minute is the rate you pay to DialPAD for a PC2Phone service,
> right? What about the cost for the dialup in India for your folks? If you
> already have a broadband Internet connection, you could have setup your own
> VoIP to cut down the cost and still enjoy a better audio quality than
> DialPAD can offer you.
>
> I have setup a VoIPBlaster (VB) server (using Fobbit phonebook software) on
> my Linux machine for me and my friends + their folks/friends (from some of
> the S.E. Asean countries). Currently, my friends' folks can call their VB
> devices or vice versa. Their folks/friends only need to pay the dialup
> service to their local ISP which costs about US$1/hr or < US$0.0167/minute
> (2/5 DialPAD costs). Most of my friends already have broadband connections
> here in the US; therefore, their VB devices are always on. In this scheme,
> both ends have to have a VB device locally attached to their computers.
> This is a Point-2-Point PC2PC call; therefore, the audio quality is next to
> the best since the connection is 100% digital between the two VB devices.
> The only analog connections are from the VB devices to the (digital
> cordless) telephones. However, delays, missing syllabus, and jitterings do
> occur.

Google