PDA

View Full Version : simulate stic ip? other options?

Stacy E
October 19th 03, 03:38 PM
The company I work for recently installed a new phone system that offers
voip so our main office and remote office a few miles down the road can
communicate seemlessly. I have also been given the option of working from
home on occassion when my projects permit if I set up my home network in a
way that would allow me to take my phone home. To do this I understand would
require a static ip address. To obtain a static ip address from my isp would
require me to change to a business plan that limits my internet usage some
and also costs $30 a month more. Outside of switching isp's (in the area I
live, I am limited if I want high speed), is there another way? We have
extra static addresses at the office that we are not using. Can they be
utilized for this somehow? Is there a way to simulate a static ip address
for this purpose? I don't even care if I had to reprogram the phone every
day ...it only takes two minutes anyhow. My daily commute (one way) takes
45.

Thanks,
Stacy

Miguel Cruz
October 19th 03, 08:38 PM
Stacy E > wrote:
> The company I work for recently installed a new phone system that offers
> voip so our main office and remote office a few miles down the road can
> communicate seemlessly. I have also been given the option of working from
> home on occassion when my projects permit if I set up my home network in a
> way that would allow me to take my phone home. To do this I understand would
> require a static ip address. To obtain a static ip address from my isp would
> require me to change to a business plan that limits my internet usage some
> and also costs $30 a month more. Outside of switching isp's (in the area I
> live, I am limited if I want high speed), is there another way? We have
> extra static addresses at the office that we are not using. Can they be
> utilized for this somehow? Is there a way to simulate a static ip address
> for this purpose?

You could set up a VPN connection, either informally using your desktop
machine or formally through your IT staff. The former option would probably
not please them and the latter might not either.

I suspect your best option would be to do a more thorough investigation of
alternate ISPs. www.dslreports.com is a good place to start.

miguel

TC
October 20th 03, 05:16 AM
Stacy E wrote:
> The company I work for recently installed a new phone system that offers
> voip so our main office and remote office a few miles down the road can
> communicate seemlessly. I have also been given the option of working from
> home on occassion when my projects permit if I set up my home network in a
> way that would allow me to take my phone home. To do this I understand would
> require a static ip address.
what kind of a looser VoIP system do they get sold that does not allow
the client phone to register with a dynamic IP
eh I think that you nned to get some admin to RTFM :)

Google