PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Fibre DSL (IFITL)?

eMail2Me
June 24th 03, 03:45 PM
I am about to go ahead with the promo rate from a local BellSouth IFITL DSL
connection. Can anyone please tell me if I should take this offer instead
of a regular modem DSL? I was informed that this IFITL DSL uses a PPPoE
connection. What is bad about PPPoE?

David H. Lipman
June 24th 03, 11:18 PM
Nothing except;
Software overhead and packet overhead.
The packet overhead is 8 bytes therefore the MTU=1492
(not the standard 1500 byes for Ethernet).

Dave

eMail2Me
June 25th 03, 04:41 AM
David H. Lipman wrote:

> Nothing except;
> Software overhead and packet overhead.
> The packet overhead is 8 bytes therefore the MTU=1492
> (not the standard 1500 byes for Ethernet).
>
> Dave

Hi dave,

Where does the software overhead come from? Also, if the standard MTU=1500
and the PPPoE MTU=1492, then where does the 8-bytes overhead come from?

eMail2Me
June 28th 03, 02:10 AM
David H. Lipman wrote:

> The overhead comes from the fact that a PC has to have the PPPoE software
> installed and running. It consumes clock cycles and RAM -- that's
> overhead.
>
> PPPoE is basically a Tunnel. The 8 bytes are the wrapper that sends each
> packet down the Tunnel.
>
> Dave

I am using the Linksys BEFSR41 to connect to the DSL line directly using the
PPPoE connection. As far as the overhead is concerned, it is zilt on my
computer (don't see such overhead).

eMail2Me
June 28th 03, 02:17 AM
David H. Lipman wrote:

> I'd be *VERY* interested in any information you can provide about the
> Fiber DSL. Either via post or via email (just remove ~nospam~).
>
> I am curious about; speed, hardware, software, ISP, compatibility,
> distance from CO, etc.
>
> Dave

Apparently, the line is connected through a fibre all the way from the local
telco to the nearest post (in the front of my house). Then, the telco guy
came in and replace the phone line connection on the pole from the existing
copper line to the fibre box. And, he replaced the existing filter on the
telephone junction box outside the house to split the voice and data. The
filter comes with a surge protection. As far as the speed concerned, I get
1.8Mbps download and 300Kbps upload. The burst rate could go as high as
30Mbps that I had seen, but does not mean it went to that bandwidth. The
only problem with PPPoE is that it times out easily. I have to set my
router to do the connection redial when the connection times out. That is
the only drawback that I could notice so far. Well, I am very happy to take
this step. My existing cable modem, from Comcast, is going to be terminated
soon since comcast is limiting the news download to 1GB/month bandwidth.
With this DSL connection, it is unlimited and I am paying the same for DSL
and/or cable modem.

Google