PDA

View Full Version : Thomson Speedtouch 510 v.4 or ZyXel Prestige 650HW ?

v8625
June 24th 03, 07:26 PM
am evaluating these two units. Would appreciate any reviews/opinions
from current users. Or any relevant
input/opinions/comments/recommendations/suggestions for that matter..

TommyDale
June 25th 03, 01:59 PM
Based on my experience with Thomson's satellite receiver experience
(RCA) they are probably not only inferior in design and construction,
but the customer service will be non-existent. The company stinks.

(v8625) wrote in message >...
> am evaluating these two units. Would appreciate any reviews/opinions
> from current users. Or any relevant
> input/opinions/comments/recommendations/suggestions for that matter..

Stanislav Meduna
June 25th 03, 03:49 PM
"v8625" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...

> am evaluating these two units. Would appreciate any reviews/opinions
> from current users. Or any relevant
> input/opinions/comments/recommendations/suggestions for that matter..

I am using a 510 v4 for a few days. The DSL part works fine, no problems
with it and the possibilities are quite good for this price tag. However,
not everything is perfect.

If you want the 510 v4 to do a nameserver for your LAN and your needs
are beyond the simple name - address resolving, stay away from it.
It cannot handle nor forward anything but A and PTR queries, making
it impossible to run a mailserver that wants to look up MX records
in the outside world and still get the local zone from the 510. And to
add insult to the injury its replies violate the corresponding RFC in
a way that makes it impossible to setup another server querying
the 510 for a local zone and the external one for anything other
(it does not set the qr bit in the DNS responses making the
previous server think it got a query and not a response).

I am in the process of discussing this issues with the support - the first
reply was reasonably quick, but no final word yet.

I can't comment on the ZyXel.

Apropos, do you need the wireless? 510 v4 does not have it
(I think the 570 does), so when comparing prices you need to add
the cost of an AP to it.

Regards
--
Stano

v8625
June 26th 03, 09:55 PM
Thanks Stanislav and everybody,
No, I don't need any of the wireless stuff, but ZyXel representative I
spoke to was pushing specifically this model for my specific situation
(outlined here - http://www.google.com/groups?dq=&start=275&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web&selm=7c6d0c8e.0306230854.7c04b802%40posting.google .com
- a posting I did in another group). At least they returned my
messages and actually came up with a suggestion.
Thomson guys still have not responded to my initial product
information request. And it's impossible to get through to them. I am
not going to bad-mouth their product (because I am totally happy with
their Speedtouch Home that served me for years and because ZyXel
themselves are apparently using Alcatel chips in their products, at
least their earlier models) but their customer service and
sales/marketing sure have a lot of room for improvement.
Anyway, I have ordered Speedtouch 510 v.4 - it's only $99.00 here in
the US (I got the single LAN port model - the ones with the 4-port
switch were not available). But now I am thinking of getting ZyXel as
well and returing the Speedtouch. I'll post the results of my "test
trials". Any additional comments from anyone with any experience with
either one of these (or, preferably, both) would still be welcome.

"Stanislav Meduna" > wrote in message >...
> "v8625" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> om...
>
> > am evaluating these two units. Would appreciate any reviews/opinions
> > from current users. Or any relevant
> > input/opinions/comments/recommendations/suggestions for that matter..
>
> I am using a 510 v4 for a few days. The DSL part works fine, no problems
> with it and the possibilities are quite good for this price tag. However,
> not everything is perfect.
>
> If you want the 510 v4 to do a nameserver for your LAN and your needs
> are beyond the simple name - address resolving, stay away from it.
> It cannot handle nor forward anything but A and PTR queries, making
> it impossible to run a mailserver that wants to look up MX records
> in the outside world and still get the local zone from the 510. And to
> add insult to the injury its replies violate the corresponding RFC in
> a way that makes it impossible to setup another server querying
> the 510 for a local zone and the external one for anything other
> (it does not set the qr bit in the DNS responses making the
> previous server think it got a query and not a response).
>
> I am in the process of discussing this issues with the support - the first
> reply was reasonably quick, but no final word yet.
>
> I can't comment on the ZyXel.
>
> Apropos, do you need the wireless? 510 v4 does not have it
> (I think the 570 does), so when comparing prices you need to add
> the cost of an AP to it.
>
> Regards

Stanislav Meduna
June 30th 03, 09:03 AM
"v8625" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...

> No, I don't need any of the wireless stuff, but ZyXel representative I
> spoke to was pushing specifically this model for my specific situation
> (outlined here - [a long URL] - a posting I did in another group).

OK. You actually don't need a second public IP and I am not quite
sure whether the 510 can handle two IPs on its DSL port (this might
depend on the protocol used - I am using PPPoE). Technically this is
well possible, but it has to be tried - a 510 is not a "business class"
router and can be limited.

If you are able to do this with PPPoE and 510, let me know. Just
a few days ago I got a similar question from a fellow ISP - AFAIK
they "solved" it by selling the client a more expensive product which
does have this possibility for sure, but I'd like to know anyway.

> > I am in the process of discussing this issues with the support - the first
> > reply was reasonably quick, but no final word yet.

An update: the first reply was also the last one up to now, I did not
get any answer to my detailed clarification of the problems,
nor to another support-request.

> Anyway, I have ordered Speedtouch 510 v.4 - it's only $99.00 here in
> the US (I got the single LAN port model - the ones with the 4-port
> switch were not available).

Here they simply sell a 510 and you can guess what you actually get -
a 510 v3, v4 with single port or v4 with 4 ports. I was lucky :-)

The problem is that where I live the wires provider lists only a few
devices that were tested with its network. If you use something other,
they do not guarantee that it will work and in the case of problems
they can charge for investigating them. Unfortunately in the list
of approved devices the 510 has the best quality/price ratio...

> But now I am thinking of getting ZyXel as well and returing
> the Speedtouch.

My opinion is that the cheap boxes nearly always have one limitation
or another. If you want to do serious firewall work, use a Linux
(or BSD) box with a custom setup - you then _know_ what is
possible and what not. For one DSL bandwidth any old 386
will suffice. The only catch is the UPnP - I did never play with
this so I don't know what it takes to get it working.

Regards
--
Stano

Google