PDA

View Full Version : Re: SMC Barricade & ADSL web authentication

Chuck
June 27th 03, 06:15 PM
On 26 Jun 2003 18:01:20 -0700, (Andreas P.) wrote:

>I don't know how most ADSL providers authenticate their users, but
>here's
>how mine works:
>Once the ADSL modem synchronizes with the phone center, it assigns
>your PC
>an IP address. This is not an internet IP address, but a LAN IP, like
>10.100.20.1 or 192.168.x.y.
>At this stage you are connected to the ADSL equipment at the call
>center,
>but you are not on the Internet yet.
>First you have to open a page in your browser to login to the ADSL
>service
>using your username & password. (you can access this page without
>being
>connected to the Internet, just being connected to the ADSL
>provider).Next, you have to choose your Internet provider
>from a menu and again use your ISPs username & password to login and
>gain
>connection to the internet. Now you are connected to the internet...
>Confusing, huh?
>
>This works fine when I have the ADSL modem plugged to the network card
>of a PC, obtaining the IP address through DHCP. The problem is that I
>want
>to share my connection using a DSL router (SMC Barricade). I connected
>the
>router to my DSL, but it doesn't seem to obtain an IP address. What I
>was
>expecting was that once the router was connected to the DSL, any
>computer on
>my LAN would have access to the web page I use to login to my ADSL
>provider
>and to my ISP. The status of the router, however, remains
>DISCONNECTED.
>
>I know all these may sound confusing, but did anyone experienced a
>similar
>problem? Any ideas for a solution?
>
>thanks,
>Andreas

Andreas,

What you are describing is PPPoE authentication. Most NAT routers
support PPPoE, you just have to find the option in the router setup,
enable it, and enter the userid and password.

You have to start by configuring a pc to talk to the router. What you
have right now is a pc configured to talk to the modem, with PPPoE
agent on the pc.

Start by getting the addresses of two dns servers. You can find this
from the pc, as it is setup right now. Or you can call your DSL
provider and ask. The dns servers are essential. Without them, you
may be connected to the internet, but you won't be able to load any
web pages by name.

Now you have two possibilities:

1) The router should come with a setup program on CD. Run the setup
program on your pc, it will set your pc up to talk to the router.
Then you login to the router, put in the PPPoE userid and password,
and the dns servers, and the router will be able to talk to the ADSL
modem, and the pc will see the internet. Done.

2) Find out from the router instruction manual what the address of
its LAN port is. Here I use an example, the default ip address for a
Linksys router is: 192.168.1.1. Set the pc up as follows:
ip address: 192.168.1.12
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (the router)
dns servers: from above instructions

Reboot the pc if necessary (depending upon your operating system may
not be necessary).

Now you login to the router, put in the PPPoE userid and password, and
the dns servers, and the router will be able to talk to the ADSL
modem, and the pc will see the internet. Done.

From your note, I am guessing that procedure #1 is most comfortable
for you. I find #2 easier, but I'm lazy (hate looking for the bloody
setup CD, hate running a program to do what takes 2 minutes tops to do
manually). Its your choice. Either way, 15 minutes, including
reading the router manual.

Are you reading this from your only pc? If so, you may wish to get
all the details down first. Making a mistake, and losing connectivity,
could be a problem. Let us know.

Good Luck,

Chuck Croll

Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
Trusted Computing? Right! http://www.againsttcpa.com/
WHAT IS THE CBDTPA? http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

Chuck
June 27th 03, 06:32 PM
On 26 Jun 2003 18:01:20 -0700, (Andreas P.) wrote:

>I don't know how most ADSL providers authenticate their users, but
>here's
>how mine works:
>Once the ADSL modem synchronizes with the phone center, it assigns
>your PC
>an IP address. This is not an internet IP address, but a LAN IP, like
>10.100.20.1 or 192.168.x.y.
>At this stage you are connected to the ADSL equipment at the call
>center,
>but you are not on the Internet yet.
>First you have to open a page in your browser to login to the ADSL
>service
>using your username & password. (you can access this page without
>being
>connected to the Internet, just being connected to the ADSL
>provider).Next, you have to choose your Internet provider
>from a menu and again use your ISPs username & password to login and
>gain
>connection to the internet. Now you are connected to the internet...
>Confusing, huh?
>
>This works fine when I have the ADSL modem plugged to the network card
>of a PC, obtaining the IP address through DHCP. The problem is that I
>want
>to share my connection using a DSL router (SMC Barricade). I connected
>the
>router to my DSL, but it doesn't seem to obtain an IP address. What I
>was
>expecting was that once the router was connected to the DSL, any
>computer on
>my LAN would have access to the web page I use to login to my ADSL
>provider
>and to my ISP. The status of the router, however, remains
>DISCONNECTED.
>
>I know all these may sound confusing, but did anyone experienced a
>similar
>problem? Any ideas for a solution?
>
>thanks,
>Andreas

Andreas,

What you are describing is PPPoE authentication. Most NAT routers
support PPPoE, you just have to find the option in the router setup,
enable it, and enter the userid and password.

You have to start by configuring a pc to talk to the router. What you
have right now is a pc configured to talk to the modem, with PPPoE
agent on the pc.

Record your current pc network configuration on paper. Open a command
prompt, type in "ipconfig /all >lpt1:" or "winipconfig /all >lpt1:"
(one or the other should work depending upon your operating system).
This will contain your current dns server addresses, which are
essential.

[...]

From your note, I am guessing that procedure #1 is most comfortable
for you. I find #2 easier, but I'm lazy (hate looking for the bloody
setup CD, hate running a program to do what takes 2 minutes tops to do
manually). Its your choice. Either way, 15 minutes, including
reading the router manual.

Are you reading this from your only pc? If so, you may wish to get
all the details down first. Making a mistake, and losing connectivity,
could be a problem. Let us know.

Good Luck,

Chuck Croll

Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
Trusted Computing? http://www.againsttcpa.com/
WHAT IS THE CBDTPA? http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

David Efflandt
June 28th 03, 01:54 AM
On 26 Jun 2003 18:01:20 -0700, Andreas P. > wrote:
> I don't know how most ADSL providers authenticate their users, but
> here's
> how mine works:
> Once the ADSL modem synchronizes with the phone center, it assigns
> your PC
> an IP address. This is not an internet IP address, but a LAN IP, like
> 10.100.20.1 or 192.168.x.y.
> At this stage you are connected to the ADSL equipment at the call
> center,
> but you are not on the Internet yet.
> First you have to open a page in your browser to login to the ADSL
> service
> using your username & password. (you can access this page without
> being
> connected to the Internet, just being connected to the ADSL
> provider).Next, you have to choose your Internet provider
> from a menu and again use your ISPs username & password to login and
> gain
> connection to the internet. Now you are connected to the internet...
> Confusing, huh?
>
> This works fine when I have the ADSL modem plugged to the network card
> of a PC, obtaining the IP address through DHCP. The problem is that I
> want
> to share my connection using a DSL router (SMC Barricade). I connected
> the
> router to my DSL, but it doesn't seem to obtain an IP address. What I
> was
> expecting was that once the router was connected to the DSL, any
> computer on
> my LAN would have access to the web page I use to login to my ADSL
> provider
> and to my ISP. The status of the router, however, remains
> DISCONNECTED.

That does sound highly unusual. You have not said what method you are
using to attempt to connect the SMC. Have you tried setting it for DHCP
on WAN and see what its logs say? Just make sure that you are NOT using
the same private address range on its LAN side.

In case it is somehow related to MAC address, you might try powering down
everything (including modem) for a few minutes before connection the SMC.
If that fails clone the MAC address of the computer that does work
directly, on the WAN side of the SMC.

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

Andreas P.
June 29th 03, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

It seems that the problem was with the MAC address.
I could connect through my DSL only from the PC I used to
connect the first time. Obviously the ADSL provider registers
the first MAC address you use to connect and only allows that from
then on. What's interesting is that when I called their support line
they said that they didn't register MAC addresses and that I should be
able to connect my DSL to other PCs as well.
Anyway, when I used the "Clone MAC address" function of the router and
copies my card's address to the router, it connected right away!
(The ADSL provider is using DHCP not PPPoE)

So far it's working without a problem.

cheers,
Andreas

(Andreas P.) wrote in message >...
> I don't know how most ADSL providers authenticate their users, but
> here's
> how mine works:
> Once the ADSL modem synchronizes with the phone center, it assigns
> your PC
> an IP address. This is not an internet IP address, but a LAN IP, like
> 10.100.20.1 or 192.168.x.y.
> At this stage you are connected to the ADSL equipment at the call
> center,
> but you are not on the Internet yet.
> First you have to open a page in your browser to login to the ADSL
> service
> using your username & password. (you can access this page without
> being
> connected to the Internet, just being connected to the ADSL
> provider).Next, you have to choose your Internet provider
> from a menu and again use your ISPs username & password to login and
> gain
> connection to the internet. Now you are connected to the internet...
> Confusing, huh?
>
> This works fine when I have the ADSL modem plugged to the network card
> of a PC, obtaining the IP address through DHCP. The problem is that I
> want
> to share my connection using a DSL router (SMC Barricade). I connected
> the
> router to my DSL, but it doesn't seem to obtain an IP address. What I
> was
> expecting was that once the router was connected to the DSL, any
> computer on
> my LAN would have access to the web page I use to login to my ADSL
> provider
> and to my ISP. The status of the router, however, remains
> DISCONNECTED.
>
> I know all these may sound confusing, but did anyone experienced a
> similar
> problem? Any ideas for a solution?
>
> thanks,
> Andreas