PDA

View Full Version : Increnmental rounter hardware.

Gary Tait
July 2nd 03, 04:36 PM
Is there hardware, I could by the parts of a broadband router as
needed/ I can afford?

Right now,I need a router/switch to connect up to 4 computers
together, two of them with old 10BT cards. and I don't want to bring
down the 10/100, and heard a router/switch could do that.

Later on, I would like to add broadband, and could use a box that does
DHCP/NAT/Firewall/PPPOE and all that, and eventually Wi-Fi.
I don't like the idea of leaving a PC on 24/7, even if it is a floppy
or CD only linux NAT/Firewall.

Or should/can I only buy the broadband stuff built into a
switch/router, and save up a bit more for one?

Caden
July 2nd 03, 11:27 PM
Gary Tait > wrote:

: Is there hardware, I could by the parts of a broadband router as
: needed/ I can afford?

The trend has been towards all-in-one hardware devices, which
have gotten cheaper and more sophisticated.

: Right now,I need a router/switch to connect up to 4 computers
: together, two of them with old 10BT cards. and I don't want to bring
: down the 10/100, and heard a router/switch could do that.

A switch is the way to go. Most of these all-in-one devices
integrate a 10/100 switch.

: Later on, I would like to add broadband, and could use a box that does
: DHCP/NAT/Firewall/PPPOE and all that, and eventually Wi-Fi.
: I don't like the idea of leaving a PC on 24/7, even if it is a floppy
: or CD only linux NAT/Firewall.

FreeBSD and Linux still might serve a role for some mid-range
users but not a home user unless you like detailed control of
firewall, nat, vpn, etc. If you need specific rules like those
found in Linux's iptables, then use a Linux solution.

Otherwise, the small hardware routers I mentioned do a decent
job of firewall security. It's become a priority for
manufacturers in recent months judging by the new hardware
being released.

: Or should/can I only buy the broadband stuff built into a
: switch/router, and save up a bit more for one?

Buy a neatgear wireless broadband router, which covers
everything you mentioned and is priced in the ~ $100.00
range. That's hard to beat. Plus, Linux is a hassle
to keep up to date.

David Efflandt
July 3rd 03, 03:57 PM
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:36:17 -0400, Gary Tait > wrote:

> Is there hardware, I could by the parts of a broadband router as
> needed/ I can afford?
>
> Right now,I need a router/switch to connect up to 4 computers
> together, two of them with old 10BT cards. and I don't want to bring
> down the 10/100, and heard a router/switch could do that.
>
> Later on, I would like to add broadband, and could use a box that does
> DHCP/NAT/Firewall/PPPOE and all that, and eventually Wi-Fi.
> I don't like the idea of leaving a PC on 24/7, even if it is a floppy
> or CD only linux NAT/Firewall.
>
> Or should/can I only buy the broadband stuff built into a
> switch/router, and save up a bit more for one?

You could get a broadband router that also does PPP if you have an
external serial modem. Just make sure that the dialup actully works if
you want to use that for now. On one SMC I tried, PPP stopped responding
after a couple of minutes (remained connected) using a modem that worked
for unlimited hours with any computer OS or Dlink gateway.

While you can get broadband gateway/routers with wireless built-in, if you
are not going to use wireless right now, you may want to hold off on that.
Because wireless is still evolving (methods and security) and you can
always add a wireless access point and related client hardware later.

But if you are perfectly happy with your current internet connection
method, small switches are not that expensive. You might even consider
something like Linksys EFSP42 which has 4 switch ports and 2 parallel
printer ports (or maybe they have something for USB printers now). I use
one to do lpr printing (now with cups) to my HP LJ4L. It also does
typical Windows printer sharing and Appletalk.

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

Google