PDA

View Full Version : ISP looking to implement xDSL in MDU's. Need vendor suggestions

Brian Fisk
August 1st 03, 05:37 PM
We are looking to provide internet access in a mix of MDU's around the area.
We have a wireless network between all of the building we want to wire, so I
need a DSLAM with an IP uplink. I'm looking for cheap 8-24 port dslams to
place in these buildings in the beginning. Does anyone have any
suggestions? Someone recommended looking into Long range ethernet also.

I have looked at the following equipment but for some reason half of the
company's don't return calls. Go figure.

UTStarcom: an-2000
Paradyne: grandslam 4200IP, 2400IP, BitSotrm 2400IP
Cisco: 6015 (does not support IP uplink)
Net-to-Net: AuD8000
C-Com: IPAM-1600s, IPAM-2400s
Zone: Raptor atm/ip dslam
TUT

Brian Fisk
Getwireless.net
Lazerlink Internet Services

Macy Hallock
August 1st 03, 06:10 PM
As quoted from "Brian Fisk" >:

+---------------
> We are looking to provide internet access in a mix of MDU's around the area.
> We have a wireless network between all of the building we want to wire, so I
> need a DSLAM with an IP uplink. I'm looking for cheap 8-24 port dslams to
> place in these buildings in the beginning. Does anyone have any
> suggestions? Someone recommended looking into Long range ethernet also.

Many others are doing the same. This has created a rapid increase in the
demand for recycled DSLAM's and CPE that the used equipment brokers have
taken note of...and raise their prices. Some of the better brokers can
help you with engineering and support at reasonable cost.

Cisco, Copper Mountain and other DSLAM's are readily available as a result
of the shutdown of a number of CLEC's and telecom vendors. Most are 48VDC.
Most are configured for ATM DS3 upstream connections, a very few will accept
other upstream connection types like ethernet.

Support from vendors is mixed. Many don't want to support "old" equipment.
A number of vendors want you to take expensive service agreements before
they will help. And some of these DSLAM's have now obsolete control cards
and firmware. It pays to do your homework before you commit.

Also, there seems to be a shortage of end-user devices for certain
proprietary DSLAM versions. Others are still available, new and/or used.

For that reason, Cisco, Alcatel, and any DSLAM that supports G.DMT
or G.LITE seems to be the safest to buy. Recycled Paradyne equipment
appears to a good bet as well.

Cisco is very much still in business and seems to support their 6500
series (though they have phased out certain models of cards and CPE)
and long reach ethernet series units pretty well. They will want you
to take out SmartNet for support and firmware upgrades.

Again, do some more homework before moving forward.
--
Macy Hallock - Tel+1.216.978.9344 Fax+1.509.275.7998 - Medina, Ohio USA

RC
August 4th 03, 07:38 PM
There are cheaper ways then putting a DSLAM in each building, especially
since you only need up to 24 ports. And these can run on the old phone wire
as well (even with phones on the same copper, just like DSL). Where are you
located?

Reply to but take out the <no_spam>

"Brian Fisk" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> We are looking to provide internet access in a mix of MDU's around the
area.
> We have a wireless network between all of the building we want to wire, so
> need a DSLAM with an IP uplink. I'm looking for cheap 8-24 port dslams to
> place in these buildings in the beginning. Does anyone have any
> suggestions? Someone recommended looking into Long range ethernet also.
>
> I have looked at the following equipment but for some reason half of the
> company's don't return calls. Go figure.
>
> UTStarcom: an-2000
> Paradyne: grandslam 4200IP, 2400IP, BitSotrm 2400IP
> Cisco: 6015 (does not support IP uplink)
> Net-to-Net: AuD8000
> C-Com: IPAM-1600s, IPAM-2400s
> Zone: Raptor atm/ip dslam
> TUT