PDA

View Full Version : How to improve DSL speed?

dennis
August 5th 03, 05:25 AM
Having Centurtytel.net at work now I have a connection over 1450 I guess
is OK but I notice that the web pages take longer to initially pop up
than my POTS modem here at home. Once it does start d/ling the page it
runs fast. However the lag at the beginning is severe. I have all the
filters installed on all the other phones with payments. I know that
some software programs exist to boost speeds

John Navas
August 5th 03, 05:31 AM
[POSTED TO comp.dcom.xdsl - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In et> on Tue, 05 Aug 2003
03:25:40 GMT, dennis > wrote:

>Having Centurtytel.net at work now I have a connection over 1450 I guess
>is OK but I notice that the web pages take longer to initially pop up
>than my POTS modem here at home. Once it does start d/ling the page it
>runs fast. However the lag at the beginning is severe. I have all the
>filters installed on all the other phones with payments. I know that
>some software programs exist to boost speeds

Sounds like you either have misconfigured DNS servers, or that the DNS servers
are pretty slow.

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

Earl Camembert
August 5th 03, 05:39 AM
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 03:25:40 GMT, dennis > wrote:

>Having Centurtytel.net at work now I have a connection over 1450 I guess
>is OK but I notice that the web pages take longer to initially pop up
>than my POTS modem here at home. Once it does start d/ling the page it
>runs fast. However the lag at the beginning is severe. I have all the
>filters installed on all the other phones with payments. I know that
>some software programs exist to boost speeds
Tweak you connection for DSL. Go to
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks you will need java poug-in for your
browser.

Art Leonard
August 5th 03, 05:41 AM
Lo, sounds like a DNS problem and not a connection issue. Make sure your
system is getting the correct DNS info. You may have to check with your ISP
to get that info from them. I think that most new modems handle the DNS
automatically but it won't hurt to check. I use a DNS cache system that
eliminates a lot of look ups and sure speeds things up. I use FastNet99, a
freeware program. I am sure there are plenty of others out there.

Good Luck
Art Leonard

"dennis" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Having Centurtytel.net at work now I have a connection over 1450 I guess
> is OK but I notice that the web pages take longer to initially pop up
> than my POTS modem here at home. Once it does start d/ling the page it
> runs fast. However the lag at the beginning is severe. I have all the
> filters installed on all the other phones with payments. I know that
> some software programs exist to boost speeds

dennis
August 5th 03, 06:29 AM
John Navas wrote:

> [POSTED TO comp.dcom.xdsl - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In et> on Tue, 05 Aug 2003
> 03:25:40 GMT, dennis > wrote:
>

>>Having Centurtytel.net at work now I have a connection over 1450 I guess
>>is OK but I notice that the web pages take longer to initially pop up
>>than my POTS modem here at home. Once it does start d/ling the page it
>>runs fast. However the lag at the beginning is severe. I have all the
>>filters installed on all the other phones with payments. I know that
>>some software programs exist to boost speeds
>

> Sounds like you either have misconfigured DNS servers, or that the DNS servers
> are pretty slow.

Is a ethernet card required for DSL? Right now I'm running through a USB
as the instruction manual shows to setup but I heard a ethernet can
help. They tell me its optional. I called tech support and they advised
my settings were correct and they checked my connection over a period of
time and they said it was very stable. My pone lines had always been
good as my 56 modem always connected 50666 and throughput was excellant.

Earl Camembert
August 5th 03, 06:34 AM
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 04:29:02 GMT, dennis > wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>
>> [POSTED TO comp.dcom.xdsl - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>> In et> on Tue, 05 Aug 2003
>> 03:25:40 GMT, dennis > wrote:
>>

>>>Having Centurtytel.net at work now I have a connection over 1450 I guess
>>>is OK but I notice that the web pages take longer to initially pop up
>>>than my POTS modem here at home. Once it does start d/ling the page it
>>>runs fast. However the lag at the beginning is severe. I have all the
>>>filters installed on all the other phones with payments. I know that
>>>some software programs exist to boost speeds
>>

>> Sounds like you either have misconfigured DNS servers, or that the DNS servers
>> are pretty slow.
>>

>Is a ethernet card required for DSL? Right now I'm running through a USB
> as the instruction manual shows to setup but I heard a ethernet can
>help. They tell me its optional. I called tech support and they advised
>my settings were correct and they checked my connection over a period of
>time and they said it was very stable. My pone lines had always been
>good as my 56 modem always connected 50666 and throughput was excellant.
Any connection is better then USB. If at all possible get an Ethernet
card. One could be had for fifteen dollars and can be self installed
all plug-and-play.

John Navas
August 5th 03, 07:29 AM

04:29:02 GMT, dennis > wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>
>> In et> on Tue, 05 Aug 2003
>> 03:25:40 GMT, dennis > wrote:
>>
>>>Having Centurtytel.net at work now I have a connection over 1450 I guess
>>>is OK but I notice that the web pages take longer to initially pop up
>>>than my POTS modem here at home. Once it does start d/ling the page it
>>>runs fast. However the lag at the beginning is severe. I have all the
>>>filters installed on all the other phones with payments. I know that
>>>some software programs exist to boost speeds
>>
>> Sounds like you either have misconfigured DNS servers, or that the DNS servers
>> are pretty slow.
>
>Is a ethernet card required for DSL?

No.

>Right now I'm running through a USB
> as the instruction manual shows to setup but I heard a ethernet can
>help. They tell me its optional.

It won't solve a DNS problem.

>I called tech support and they advised
>my settings were correct and they checked my connection over a period of
>time and they said it was very stable. My pone lines had always been
>good as my 56 modem always connected 50666 and throughput was excellant.

All of which has nothing to do with DNS. Check your DNS configuration, and
the speed of the DNS servers. (See my webpage below.)

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>
CABLE MODEM/DSL GUIDE: <http://Cable-DSL.home.att.net/>

maybenot
August 5th 03, 10:30 AM
"dennis" > wrote in message
ink.net...
| Having Centurtytel.net at work now I have a connection over 1450 I
guess
| is OK but I notice that the web pages take longer to initially pop up
| than my POTS modem here at home. Once it does start d/ling the page it
| runs fast.

I don't know if centurytel uses PPPOE, if it does and you have ethernet
modem I would say you seems to have a symptom of a DSL hesitation which
can be cured by assigning private static ip in your NIC's TCP/IP
properties instead of obtaining ip automatically, since you have USB, I
don't know if this is the fix.

Beep
August 6th 03, 05:40 AM
dennis wrote:

> Having Centurtytel.net at work now I have a connection over 1450 I guess
> is OK but I notice that the web pages take longer to initially pop up
> than my POTS modem here at home. Once it does start d/ling the page it
> runs fast. However the lag at the beginning is severe. I have all the
> filters installed on all the other phones with payments. I know that
> some software programs exist to boost speeds

This sounded like you have a DNS problem. Anyway, you can try this free
software to optimize your connection from http://cablenut.com.

Alex de la Cuesta
August 11th 03, 09:33 PM
I would suggest to use Ethernet connecton. Maybe the USB is sharing the port
to other peripherals (mouser, printer,etc.) Also 10/100kbps is better than
USB.

"dennis" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Having Centurtytel.net at work now I have a connection over 1450 I guess
> is OK but I notice that the web pages take longer to initially pop up
> than my POTS modem here at home. Once it does start d/ling the page it
> runs fast. However the lag at the beginning is severe. I have all the
> filters installed on all the other phones with payments. I know that
> some software programs exist to boost speeds

wraith0x29a
November 7th 03, 04:18 PM
dennis wrote:

> Having Centurtytel.net at work now I have a connection over 1450 I guess
> is OK but I notice that the web pages take longer to initially pop up
> than my POTS modem here at home. Once it does start d/ling the page it
> runs fast. However the lag at the beginning is severe. I have all the
> filters installed on all the other phones with payments. I know that
> some software programs exist to boost speeds

I am being driven mad by a similar problem.

I'm using Demon ADSL (UK) and a Netgear DM602 router/modem connected via
ethernet.

All my boxes* - RedHat Linux, Hadez Linux (my custom distro), SCO Openserver
5.0.5/5.0.6/5.0.7 and Windows 98/NT4/2000/XP - exhibit the same symptoms -
about one in five web sites timeout before showing the page but eventually
load after clicking 'reload' a few of times.

This is also happening at a customer's site two hundred miles away where I
have installed an ADSL->LAN server (Linux 2.4.1) with the same model
router/modem and Demon ADSL account.

In my case it's definately not a DNS issue but something specific to the
ADSL connection.

Any hints would be appreciated.

* well, work's boxes but I'm a possesive techie. I only have 5 Linux boxes
and a WinXP games machine at home and BT won't install broadband in our
village anyhow.

--
~= =~
~= www.hadez.org =~