PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing equipment

Brad De Groot
August 5th 03, 02:30 PM
Hello,

I am in the process of converting from a dial up connection to ADSL.
The ISP has provded me with a list of ADSL modems / routers (see below)that
I can choose from but I have no idea which one to choose to suit my needs.
In terms of my requirements, I have the following:

- Something that is mid range in terms of price.
- Something that will be compaitable with my home network. At the moment, I
have only installed all of the network cables within my house but have not
actually connected them to any system. From this point of view, I would
prefer something that I can connect to a router / hub (not sure of the
correct technical term here) at a later date.
- Something that will still enable me to use my old dial in modem as I need
it to dial directly into some sites that do not have VPN functionality.

Out of the list below, the only one that I have excluded from my list is the
D-Link DSL modems due to some articals found in the Age. See link
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/02/1048962802222.html

Thanks,
Brad

Alcatel SpeedTouch Home
Alcatel SpeedTouch PCNIC
Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro
Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro (4 port)
Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro (Firewall)
Alcatel SpeedTouch USB
Askey/Dynalink - ALE 070
Askey/Dynalink - ALH 110
Cisco 827
Cisco 827-4V
Cisco SOHO77
D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 100D
D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 200
D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 300+
D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 302G
D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 500
D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 504
Efficient Networks - Speedstream 3060
Efficient Networks - Speedstream 4060
Efficient Networks - Speedstream 5260
Efficient Networks - Speedstream 5660
Efficient Networks - Speedstream 5667
Efficient Networks - Speedstream 5861
NetComm ADSL Modem - BusinessSmart
Samsung SAM-215 USB Modem
Samsung SAM-335A Ethernet Modem

Lawrance Allen Schneider
August 6th 03, 01:37 AM
In article >,
"Brad De Groot" > wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am in the process of converting from a dial up connection to ADSL.
> The ISP has provded me with a list of ADSL modems / routers (see below)that
> I can choose from but I have no idea which one to choose to suit my needs.
> In terms of my requirements, I have the following:
>
> - Something that is mid range in terms of price.
> - Something that will be compaitable with my home network. At the moment, I
> have only installed all of the network cables within my house but have not
> actually connected them to any system. From this point of view, I would
> prefer something that I can connect to a router / hub (not sure of the
> correct technical term here) at a later date.
> - Something that will still enable me to use my old dial in modem as I need
> it to dial directly into some sites that do not have VPN functionality.
>
> Out of the list below, the only one that I have excluded from my list is the
> D-Link DSL modems due to some articals found in the Age. See link
> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/02/1048962802222.html
>
> Thanks,
> Brad
>
> Alcatel SpeedTouch Home
> Alcatel SpeedTouch PCNIC
> Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro
> Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro (4 port)
> Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro (Firewall)
> Alcatel SpeedTouch USB
> Askey/Dynalink - ALE 070
> Askey/Dynalink - ALH 110
> Cisco 827
> Cisco 827-4V
> Cisco SOHO77
> D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 100D
> D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 200
> D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 300+
> D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 302G
> D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 500
> D-Link ADSL Modem - DSL 504
> Efficient Networks - Speedstream 3060
> Efficient Networks - Speedstream 4060
> Efficient Networks - Speedstream 5260
> Efficient Networks - Speedstream 5660
> Efficient Networks - Speedstream 5667
> Efficient Networks - Speedstream 5861
> NetComm ADSL Modem - BusinessSmart
> Samsung SAM-215 USB Modem
> Samsung SAM-335A Ethernet Modem

Add a Cisco 1417 to your list. Works fine for me.

Larry

octopi
August 6th 03, 06:16 AM
> Out of the list below, the only one that I have excluded from my list is
the
> D-Link DSL modems due to some articals found in the Age. See link
> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/02/1048962802222.html

I suppose you will want to exclude Alcatel too then, after reading this:
http://security.sdsc.edu/self-help/alcatel/alcatel-bugs

Google