PDA

View Full Version : SBC dsl

Imretired96
August 14th 03, 06:22 PM
Have had SBC dsl for 3 weeks and find that I get a faster connection w/my dial
up service. Anyone else having a problem? I live in southeast Michigan and if
you don't use SBC phone service, you can't get dsl. I call support on a daily
basis, and am told that there must be a problem w/the phone line and I should
leave the modem on. Then they run some tests and lo and behold I am up and
running with great speed! They tell me I can't cancel because I accepted the
service at the rate of $29.95 per month for the first year and there's a $250
fee that will be added to my phone bill if I do cancel and return the modem.
This dsl service is terrible. Any suggestions or has anyone else had this
problem and if so, what was your solution?

John Navas
August 14th 03, 08:05 PM
[POSTED TO comp.dcom.xdsl - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In > on 14 Aug 2003 16:22:19 GMT,
(Imretired96) wrote:

>Have had SBC dsl for 3 weeks and find that I get a faster connection w/my dial
>up service. Anyone else having a problem? I live in southeast Michigan and if
>you don't use SBC phone service, you can't get dsl. I call support on a daily
>basis, and am told that there must be a problem w/the phone line and I should
>leave the modem on. Then they run some tests and lo and behold I am up and
>running with great speed! They tell me I can't cancel because I accepted the
>service at the rate of $29.95 per month for the first year and there's a $250
>fee that will be added to my phone bill if I do cancel and return the modem.
>This dsl service is terrible. Any suggestions or has anyone else had this
>problem and if so, what was your solution?

It wasn't working properly at first. It's now fixed. What's the problem?

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

David Efflandt
August 14th 03, 08:20 PM
On 14 Aug 2003 16:22:19 GMT, Imretired96 > wrote:
> Have had SBC dsl for 3 weeks and find that I get a faster connection w/my dial
> up service. Anyone else having a problem? I live in southeast Michigan and if
> you don't use SBC phone service, you can't get dsl. I call support on a daily
> basis, and am told that there must be a problem w/the phone line and I should
> leave the modem on. Then they run some tests and lo and behold I am up and
> running with great speed! They tell me I can't cancel because I accepted the
> service at the rate of $29.95 per month for the first year and there's a $250
> fee that will be added to my phone bill if I do cancel and return the modem.
> This dsl service is terrible. Any suggestions or has anyone else had this
> problem and if so, what was your solution?

Did you leave your modem always on during the first 10 days in case they
had to do ramp up tests (didn't matter if your computer was connected,
just so the modem was on)?

Is it possible that you are running any internet file sharing software?
If your upload becomes saturated it will affect your download, because
acknowledgements for downloaded packets have to wait in line behind other
packets to be uploaded. It is also possible that you are infected with
one of the many Windows worms or viruses if you have not protected
yourself or kept Windows up to date with all critical and security
updates.

Check out the SBC Ameritech forum at http://www.broadbandreports.com/
alias http://www.dslreports.com/ where there are links to SBC speed tests
and other info.