notified. I have never needed to use it as to access it I had to be online,
once I was online I had few problems.

My prefered support options with Earthlink

#1: Newsgroup....
#2: E-mail... might not help but hey
#3: Online chat when it works
#4: Phone support, get ready for long hold times and always having to start
from scratch with a new person.

> Earthlink's idea of technical support...
>
> Please wait for a site operator to respond. While you are waiting,
> please feel free to begin typing your issue in the box below. Try to be
> as descriptive as possible. Once an operator responds, click SEND to
> transmit what you have typed.
> All operators are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience.
<SNIP>

> ...to infinity? No estimation of wait time either!

Martin J Piraino
September 3rd 03, 01:37 AM
Matt,

I work for Earthlink as a technical support representative, inbound live
person kind of tech support. (dialup tech support on Windows operating
systems, I have some Mac expeirence but mine is strictly for Windows OS
calls). I've also worked the customer service side of things with Earthlink
as well. I have to admit that I myself have found customers that have tried
the "live chat" eventually make it to the phone to talk to a live person.
Email support is better than the live chat, from what I've seen, and there
are reasons for not getting a callback if requested in live chat or Email,
because they are seperate departments that handle those particualr areas,
you could shoot straight to calling on the phone every time if you wished.
People can be somewhat confused by the Email responses they get as well, and
I can understand that. At times it's just a simple misunderstanding of what
the instructions are. I do know for the callcenter I work in, they just
hired a bunch of new people, and are hiring more.. It goes in cycles, yes
Earthlink did close some of their call centers, that's been in the public
for a while. For security reasons email correspondance would never discuss
account information such as passwords, or any other account sensitive
information, they will write back and ask you to call in to tech support or
customer service.depending on the issue.

Martin

"matt zukowski" > wrote in message
> I must admit, I never bothered with their e-mail or online support. Ok,
> that's not true, I have bothered with it, I just didn't get anywhere.
>
> Their e-mail support seems to be pretty low level as in what password are
> you using. Most matters you need to actually talk with the humans. It
> doesn't seem to be possible to get someone to phone you back via e-mail
> support either, which I find kinda odd but hey.
>
> When I could actually talk with someone in their online support, they were
> somewhat helpful.
>
> The earthlink newsgoup, for the life of me I forget it's specific name,
was
> actually more reasonable. There actually is a person there answering
> questions and whatnot, and making sure that the right departments get
> notified. I have never needed to use it as to access it I had to be
online,
> once I was online I had few problems.
>
> My prefered support options with Earthlink
>
> #1: Newsgroup....
> #2: E-mail... might not help but hey
> #3: Online chat when it works
> #4: Phone support, get ready for long hold times and always having to
start
> from scratch with a new person.

> > Earthlink's idea of technical support...
> >
> > Please wait for a site operator to respond. While you are waiting,
> > please feel free to begin typing your issue in the box below. Try to be
> > as descriptive as possible. Once an operator responds, click SEND to
> > transmit what you have typed.
> > All operators are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience.
> <SNIP>
> >
> > ...to infinity? No estimation of wait time either!

matt zukowski
September 3rd 03, 10:07 AM
"Martin J Piraino" > wrote in message
.. .
>For security reasons email correspondance would never discuss
> account information such as passwords, or any other account sensitive
> information, they will write back and ask you to call in to tech support
or
> customer service.depending on the issue.

Actually, I've found that not to be true, i've had my password mailed to me.
I didn't ask for it mind you, but it was mailed to me. I'm sure this is a
violation of policy, but never the less I recieved my password via e-mail.

> Email support is better than the live chat, from what I've seen, and there
> are reasons for not getting a callback if requested in live chat or Email,
> because they are seperate departments that handle those particualr areas,
> you could shoot straight to calling on the phone every time if you wished.

You could shoot straight to calling on the phone... but the hold times are
signifigent, and for some issues that do require a call back from someone at
a higher level that don't actually result in a call back, you have to start
all over again.

E-mail support, unless things have changed, seems to cover basic issues but
not for example anything above and beyond accessing the service. I.e. it
took me about 1 month to get my DSL service operational. I was stuck in the
"no really, you already gave me the password, it works, just not in
winpoet". I even provided one support agent telnet access via another isp
directly to the modem and had him type in the password registered to me
directly into it to prove "no really, not a password issue".

What seems nutty to me, while I respect the fact that they are diffrent
departments, it's impossible to get a call back via e-mail while it is
possible to get a callback from phone support. Really I do respect the fact
that any form of support requires troubleshooting, starting at the most
basic and attempting to isolate the cause of the problem. Based on my
experence with e-mail support, there isn't anything above and beyond tier
1... and it's the customer's responciblity to phone another tier 1 support
agent and hope someone is smart enough to esclate the issue. Now, assuming
e-mail, live chat, and phone support are tier 1, what makes e-mail / live
chat so diffrent that they can't contact someone to call you back?

This is why I feel e-mail support is kinda pointless. If they can't solve
your issue, it seems to be policy for you start all over with phone support
rather then forwarding it along to the next level of support.

> People can be somewhat confused by the Email responses they get as well,
and
> I can understand that. At times it's just a simple misunderstanding of
what
> the instructions are.

Oh yea, without a doubt!

Martin J Piraino
September 9th 03, 03:40 AM
"matt zukowski" > wrote in message
> "Martin J Piraino" > wrote in message
> .. .
<snip>

> This is why I feel e-mail support is kinda pointless. If they can't solve
> your issue, it seems to be policy for you start all over with phone
support
> rather then forwarding it along to the next level of support.

Point taken, BUT generally phone tech support has access to information
provided by electronic chat and email to a customer so a phone support
technician can look over the issue while on the phone with the customer.
I've had callers start out by saying "I've had 2 live chats and sent 1
email, and my problem is still not resolved... yadda yadda..." and while
they're explaining the problem a smart phone tech will be looking at the
case notes on the account to get a heads up. Everything is supposed to be
documented, and I know email and chat support are, it's automatic. Sometimes
the system we use to keep casenotes is down, we have to save it and enter it
later.. I've had caller say "I talked to so and so about 10-15 minutes ago,
I still have the same problem" and when you really need to know what a tech
had a customer do on a previous call sometimes it's not there yet. I do
dislike when that happens.

Martin

Tim Reed
September 23rd 03, 06:41 AM
Martin -
I totally agree. I work for Tier 1 Tech Support for Earthlink.net
Dialup Windows Support in Washington State (usa). The live chat is usually
India or something like that, and the email support confuses the customers.
Which call center you work in? they just hired 20 more and allways hiring
more. I took the Tier 2 Test today and aced it! So am quite happy.

Tim