PDA

View Full Version : Unusual adsl problem

Rod Speed
September 5th 03, 11:29 PM
Getting a weird adsl problem, the router keeps mindlessly
getting a new IP literally every 3 mins, regular as clockwork.
Needless to say that comprehensively stuffs net access with
a significant pause in data flow as it gets each new one.

Been going on for days now, since 14:30 Thursday.

Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro in completely standard setup,
only the usename/password changed. It does the logon
auto. Been working fine for about a year now.

Previously with bigpong, currently with iinet for
a couple of months. These are australian ISPs.

Telstra's done a remote reset, made no difference.

Linesynch is always rock solid, rebooting the router makes no difference.

Not clear just what is triggering the request
for the new IP, or how to find that out.

Currently they estimate a restoration by end of business on
Wednesday, presumably because they need to send someone to
the exchange physically to change a card in the dslam or something.

Anyone seen anything like this, particularly the mindless
regular as clockwork new IP every 3 mins ?

Some One
September 6th 03, 03:02 AM
"Rod Speed" > wrote in news:[email protected]
69072.news.uni-berlin.de:

> Getting a weird adsl problem, the router keeps mindlessly
> getting a new IP literally every 3 mins, regular as clockwork.
> Needless to say that comprehensively stuffs net access with
> a significant pause in data flow as it gets each new one.
>
> Been going on for days now, since 14:30 Thursday.
>
> Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro in completely standard setup,
> only the usename/password changed. It does the logon
> auto. Been working fine for about a year now.
>
> Previously with bigpong, currently with iinet for
> a couple of months. These are australian ISPs.
>
> Telstra's done a remote reset, made no difference.
>
> Linesynch is always rock solid, rebooting the router makes no difference.
>
> Not clear just what is triggering the request
> for the new IP, or how to find that out.
>
> Currently they estimate a restoration by end of business on
> Wednesday, presumably because they need to send someone to
> the exchange physically to change a card in the dslam or something.
>
> Anyone seen anything like this, particularly the mindless
> regular as clockwork new IP every 3 mins ?

My router has a field that says "Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time: xx
Min.". It sounds like your router has a simular field and that it has
somehow changed the max. idle time to 3 minutes.

Rod Speed
September 6th 03, 03:20 AM
"Some One" > wrote in message ...
> "Rod Speed" > wrote in news:[email protected]
> 69072.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
> > Getting a weird adsl problem, the router keeps mindlessly
> > getting a new IP literally every 3 mins, regular as clockwork.
> > Needless to say that comprehensively stuffs net access with
> > a significant pause in data flow as it gets each new one.
> >
> > Been going on for days now, since 14:30 Thursday.
> >
> > Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro in completely standard setup,
> > only the usename/password changed. It does the logon
> > auto. Been working fine for about a year now.
> >
> > Previously with bigpong, currently with iinet for
> > a couple of months. These are australian ISPs.
> >
> > Telstra's done a remote reset, made no difference.
> >
> > Linesynch is always rock solid, rebooting the router makes no difference.
> >
> > Not clear just what is triggering the request
> > for the new IP, or how to find that out.
> >
> > Currently they estimate a restoration by end of business on
> > Wednesday, presumably because they need to send someone to
> > the exchange physically to change a card in the dslam or something.
> >
> > Anyone seen anything like this, particularly the mindless
> > regular as clockwork new IP every 3 mins ?
> >

> My router has a field that says "Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time: xx
> Min.". It sounds like your router has a simular field and that it has
> somehow changed the max. idle time to 3 minutes.

Nope, it worked fine for a year or so, just started doing that, no changes.

Richard Wintjen
September 9th 03, 03:02 PM
Rod Speed wrote:
> "Some One" > wrote in message ...
>
>>"Rod Speed" > wrote in news:[email protected]
>>69072.news.uni-berlin.de:
>>

>>>Getting a weird adsl problem, the router keeps mindlessly
>>>getting a new IP literally every 3 mins, regular as clockwork.
>>>Needless to say that comprehensively stuffs net access with
>>>a significant pause in data flow as it gets each new one.
>>>
>>>Been going on for days now, since 14:30 Thursday.
>>>
>>>Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro in completely standard setup,
>>>only the usename/password changed. It does the logon
>>>auto. Been working fine for about a year now.
>>>
>>>Previously with bigpong, currently with iinet for
>>>a couple of months. These are australian ISPs.
>>>
>>>Telstra's done a remote reset, made no difference.
>>>
>>>Linesynch is always rock solid, rebooting the router makes no difference.
>>>
>>>Not clear just what is triggering the request
>>>for the new IP, or how to find that out.
>>>
>>>Currently they estimate a restoration by end of business on
>>>Wednesday, presumably because they need to send someone to
>>>the exchange physically to change a card in the dslam or something.
>>>
>>>Anyone seen anything like this, particularly the mindless
>>>regular as clockwork new IP every 3 mins ?
>>>

>>My router has a field that says "Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time: xx
>>Min.". It sounds like your router has a simular field and that it has
>>somehow changed the max. idle time to 3 minutes.
>

> Nope, it worked fine for a year or so, just started doing that, no changes.

A stray glitch may have altered the setting. Try changing the setting to
a new value, saving, then changing it back. If that doesn't help, try
resetting the router.

Google