PDA

View Full Version : over 1.5Mbps ADSL

Hidenori HoRi
September 11th 03, 03:58 AM
Hello all,

I'm looking for ADSL high speed connection provider.
But I can't find over 1.5Mbps connection speed in US.
Actually When I lived in Japan, I could get 8Mbps, 12Mbps, and more high speed
connection. But it's very cheap price just 3000 JPY (= 25 USD) per month.

Does anyone know who has over 1.5Mbps ADSL connection provider in US?
Or, nobody provide in US like Japanese provider?

Thank you.
--
hide >

No.6
September 11th 03, 04:41 AM
You might want to look for SDSL.They have higher speeds.

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.
September 11th 03, 04:44 AM
(Hidenori HoRi) wrote:

>I'm looking for ADSL high speed connection provider.
>But I can't find over 1.5Mbps connection speed in US.
>Actually When I lived in Japan, I could get 8Mbps, 12Mbps, and more high speed
>connection. But it's very cheap price just 3000 JPY (= 25 USD) per month.
>
>Does anyone know who has over 1.5Mbps ADSL connection provider in US?
>Or, nobody provide in US like Japanese provider?

Right now, 1.5 RADSL is about as high as you can get from DSL in the US. Comcast
has announced 3MB cable broadband by the end of the year in areas they serve.

Hidenori HoRi
September 11th 03, 05:24 AM
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 02:41:12 GMT,
No.6 > wrote:
> You might want to look for SDSL.They have higher speeds.

I see, the SDSL is more higher.
But, I think that cost is very expensive. It's not like $25/mo. :(

Thank you.
--
hide >

Hidenori HoRi
September 11th 03, 05:27 AM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:44:06 -0600,
Clark W. Griswold, Jr. > wrote:
> >I'm looking for ADSL high speed connection provider.
> >But I can't find over 1.5Mbps connection speed in US.
> >Actually When I lived in Japan, I could get 8Mbps, 12Mbps, and more high speed
> >connection. But it's very cheap price just 3000 JPY (= 25 USD) per month.
> >
> >Does anyone know who has over 1.5Mbps ADSL connection provider in US?
> >Or, nobody provide in US like Japanese provider?
>
> Right now, 1.5 RADSL is about as high as you can get from DSL in the US. Comcast
> has announced 3MB cable broadband by the end of the year in areas they serve.

Yes, I think so, the Cable is more higher.
But I prefer ADSL because very easily to use it.
If I go to Cable, I need to signup also Cable-TV basic fee, right?
It's too much for me... But, thank you for the info. :)

I'll check Cable too.
--
hide >

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.
September 11th 03, 06:24 AM
(Hidenori HoRi) wrote:

Actually, I take back my statement about 1.5 being the highest you can get for
DSL. It looks like Covad is now offering 3.0mb service for $149 a month. Check
out http://www.covad.com/residential/index.shtml

>Yes, I think so, the Cable is more higher.
>But I prefer ADSL because very easily to use it.

I've worked on both DSL and Cable broadband hook ups and have not seen any
difference as far as complexity. In fact, I would say that cable is slightly
easier as the cable modem handles the login whereas DSL usually requires either
a PPPoE client, an OS that supports PPPoE or a router that supports PPPoE.

>If I go to Cable, I need to signup also Cable-TV basic fee, right?

Most cable companies charge an extra $10 a month or so if you don't take their
TV service. Which coincidentally happens to be about what their basic "locals
plus shopping channels" TV tier sells for. Either way, you have to pay more than
just the broadband rate.

>It's too much for me... But, thank you for the info. :)

I understand. Broadband in the US is seriously behind the rest of the world. You
are welcome.

Idbbs01
September 11th 03, 05:08 PM
SBC has up to 6mbps DSL packages

Hidenori HoRi
September 11th 03, 07:33 PM
On 11 Sep 2003 15:08:50 GMT,
Idbbs01 > wrote:
> SBC has up to 6mbps DSL packages

Wow! I checked them and I found following URL.
http://www02.sbc.com/DSL_new/content/1,,90,00.html?

This is 'SBC Yahoo! DSL Expert Plus Package' and connection speed
is max 6Mbps! I didn't know that.
But... I was shocked also their price. :(
Why American DSL is so expensive....
I don't think it's for personal. Hahaha...
--
hide >

Hidenori HoRi
September 11th 03, 07:39 PM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:24:36 -0600,
Clark W. Griswold, Jr. > wrote:
> Actually, I take back my statement about 1.5 being the highest you can get for
> DSL. It looks like Covad is now offering 3.0mb service for $149 a month. Check
> out http://www.covad.com/residential/index.shtml

$149/mo is not for personal usage, I think....
As you said, in the US, 1.5Mbps is highest speed for personal now.

> I've worked on both DSL and Cable broadband hook ups and have not seen any
> difference as far as complexity. In fact, I would say that cable is slightly
> easier as the cable modem handles the login whereas DSL usually requires either
> a PPPoE client, an OS that supports PPPoE or a router that supports PPPoE.

I use Broadband router for my DSL connection. :)
By the way, I'm using Earthlink now.
They provide Cable too and it's not expensive.

> Most cable companies charge an extra $10 a month or so if you don't take their
> TV service. Which coincidentally happens to be about what their basic "locals
> plus shopping channels" TV tier sells for. Either way, you have to pay more than
> just the broadband rate.

I see, so I don't need to get their TV service, that's why extra $10.
It's not bad. :)
By the way, I'm using Earthlink now.
They provide Cable too and it's not expensive.

> I understand. Broadband in the US is seriously behind the rest of the world. You
> are welcome.

I hope US provider will provide high speed ADSL server like Japanese provider...

Thank you very much. :)
--
hide >

dr
September 13th 03, 10:41 AM
> I'm looking for ADSL high speed connection provider.
> But I can't find over 1.5Mbps connection speed in US.
> Actually When I lived in Japan, I could get 8Mbps, 12Mbps, and more high speed
> connection. But it's very cheap price just 3000 JPY (= 25 USD) per month.
>
> Does anyone know who has over 1.5Mbps ADSL connection provider in US?
> Or, nobody provide in US like Japanese provider?

There are many factors here.

Most DSL hardware can go up to 8mbps but the phone companies don't offer it
because most customers can't get it. This is due to the distance of the
wire run and the generally poor condition of the run from the DSLAM to a
house. I'm betting that in Japan, most of the wire is newer and due to
higher living densities, shorter. This means that a higher proportion of
the population can actually get higher speeds than 1.5mpbs. When I lived
in CT, I was on CO lines that were installed before WWII.

As to costs, well a denser poplulation base means less fixed costs. Maybe.
But phone companies on both countries are highly regulated (maybe more in
Japan?) and there are varying rules and tax incentives which determine
pricing. Many times this counts much more than the pure economics of the
situation.

Earl Camembert
September 13th 03, 07:36 PM
"dr" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> > I'm looking for ADSL high speed connection provider.
> > But I can't find over 1.5Mbps connection speed in US.
> > Actually When I lived in Japan, I could get 8Mbps, 12Mbps, and more high
speed
> > connection. But it's very cheap price just 3000 JPY (= 25 USD) per
month.

> > Does anyone know who has over 1.5Mbps ADSL connection provider in US?
> > Or, nobody provide in US like Japanese provider?
>
> There are many factors here.
>
> Most DSL hardware can go up to 8mbps but the phone companies don't offer
it
> because most customers can't get it. This is due to the distance of the
> wire run and the generally poor condition of the run from the DSLAM to a
> house. I'm betting that in Japan, most of the wire is newer and due to
> higher living densities, shorter. This means that a higher proportion of
> the population can actually get higher speeds than 1.5mpbs. When I lived
> in CT, I was on CO lines that were installed before WWII.
>
> As to costs, well a denser poplulation base means less fixed costs. Maybe.
> But phone companies on both countries are highly regulated (maybe more in
> Japan?) and there are varying rules and tax incentives which determine
> pricing. Many times this counts much more than the pure economics of the
> situation.

Japan and Korea have more fiber to the curb then the US but the US has more
long legged blond women then both.

Hidenori HoRi
September 13th 03, 07:49 PM
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 08:41:04 GMT,
dr > wrote:
> Most DSL hardware can go up to 8mbps but the phone companies don't offer it
> because most customers can't get it. This is due to the distance of the
> wire run and the generally poor condition of the run from the DSLAM to a
> house. I'm betting that in Japan, most of the wire is newer and due to
> higher living densities, shorter. This means that a higher proportion of
> the population can actually get higher speeds than 1.5mpbs. When I lived
> in CT, I was on CO lines that were installed before WWII.

Yes, I know. Even if I use 8Mbps ADSL, but that speed is not 8Mbps.
Actually I checked the speed, and that speed kept 6Mbps.
And that 8Mbps is just $25. If I pay $25 in US, how's speed in US? :)
Maybe I can't get 1.5Mbps even so.

> As to costs, well a denser poplulation base means less fixed costs. Maybe.
> But phone companies on both countries are highly regulated (maybe more in
> Japan?) and there are varying rules and tax incentives which determine
> pricing. Many times this counts much more than the pure economics of the
> situation.

I'm not sure about it, but I think Japan has more fixed system
such as optical-fiber, or as you said that is tax incentives.
--
hide >

Hidenori HoRi
September 13th 03, 07:51 PM
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:36:33 GMT,
Earl Camembert > wrote:
> > As to costs, well a denser poplulation base means less fixed costs. Maybe.
> > But phone companies on both countries are highly regulated (maybe more in
> > Japan?) and there are varying rules and tax incentives which determine
> > pricing. Many times this counts much more than the pure economics of the
> > situation.
> >
> Japan and Korea have more fiber to the curb then the US but the US has more
> long legged blond women then both.

I'm not exactly, but maybe I agree you. :p

--
hide >

dusan
September 25th 03, 08:02 PM
hi
at a moment in usa is big greedy monopoly on Internet service so you can not get
good fast (wire and equipment speed limit ~8/1mb) Internet at ~$25.00 or ~$200.00
sprintion was the only one that try 8mb down / 1mb up ~$159.00 + tax ~$35.00
( sprintion Internet 8/1mb , 4 phone numbers/lines ,750 min LD in USA
toll free 800 number all for one cost ~$159.00 + tax )

at the moment speakeasy / covad / worldcom , offer 1500/768k for ~$80 static 1 ip
or sbc / swbell 6000/384k ~$160 or 1500/256k and 5 static ip's ~$80
or ~$30 1500/128k ppoe
and it is best deal in adsl you can get in USA now

and we as USA most powerful nation in a world have to have slowest and most
expensive Internet as 3rd world nations

as you say in japan you have better / faster Internet its indication that
they have smarter / better communication governmental management and less greed
and speed and price is a proof of that

so as they say in a movie "greed is good"

or is it ?

dusan

Hidenori HoRi wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for ADSL high speed connection provider.
> But I can't find over 1.5Mbps connection speed in US.
> Actually When I lived in Japan, I could get 8Mbps, 12Mbps, and more high speed
> connection. But it's very cheap price just 3000 JPY (= 25 USD) per month.
>
> Does anyone know who has over 1.5Mbps ADSL connection provider in US?
> Or, nobody provide in US like Japanese provider?
>
> Thank you.

Hidenori HoRi
September 26th 03, 01:31 AM
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:02:35 -0500,
dusan > wrote:
> hi
> at a moment in usa is big greedy monopoly on Internet service so you can not get
> good fast (wire and equipment speed limit ~8/1mb) Internet at ~$25.00 or ~$200.00
> sprintion was the only one that try 8mb down / 1mb up ~$159.00 + tax ~$35.00
> ( sprintion Internet 8/1mb , 4 phone numbers/lines ,750 min LD in USA
> toll free 800 number all for one cost ~$159.00 + tax )
>
> at the moment speakeasy / covad / worldcom , offer 1500/768k for ~$80 static 1 ip
> or sbc / swbell 6000/384k ~$160 or 1500/256k and 5 static ip's ~$80
> or ~$30 1500/128k ppoe
> and it is best deal in adsl you can get in USA now
>
> and we as USA most powerful nation in a world have to have slowest and most
> expensive Internet as 3rd world nations
>
> as you say in japan you have better / faster Internet its indication that
> they have smarter / better communication governmental management and less greed
> and speed and price is a proof of that
>
> so as they say in a movie "greed is good"
>
> or is it ?
>
> dusan

Thank you for the good news. ;)

It still is expensive in US but the US company will catch up
the connection speed. I hope it will be cheaper soon. :)

In Japan, the maximum speed is 26Mbps (Down stream 26M / Up stream 1M).
And the price is 3,838 JPY (= $33/mo).
If you can read/understand Japanese, you can check Yahoo-Japan
at http://bbpromo.yahoo.co.jp/ :)

Cheers.
--
hide >

Earl Camembert
September 27th 03, 06:25 AM
Check on what they pay in Australia for so little. How much do they pay for
gas? We have no country defending our asses for free.

"Hidenori HoRi" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:02:35 -0500,
> dusan > wrote:
> > hi
> > at a moment in usa is big greedy monopoly on Internet service so you
can not get
> > good fast (wire and equipment speed limit ~8/1mb) Internet at ~$25.00
or ~$200.00
> > sprintion was the only one that try 8mb down / 1mb up ~$159.00 + tax
~$35.00
> > ( sprintion Internet 8/1mb , 4 phone numbers/lines ,750 min LD in USA
> > toll free 800 number all for one cost ~$159.00 + tax )
> >
> > at the moment speakeasy / covad / worldcom , offer 1500/768k for ~$80
static 1 ip
> > or sbc / swbell 6000/384k ~$160 or 1500/256k and 5 static ip's ~$80
> > or ~$30 1500/128k ppoe
> > and it is best deal in adsl you can get in USA now
> >
> > and we as USA most powerful nation in a world have to have slowest and
most
> > expensive Internet as 3rd world nations
> >
> > as you say in japan you have better / faster Internet its indication
that
> > they have smarter / better communication governmental management and
less greed
> > and speed and price is a proof of that
> >
> > so as they say in a movie "greed is good"
> >
> > or is it ?
> >
> > dusan
>

> Thank you for the good news. ;)
>
> It still is expensive in US but the US company will catch up
> the connection speed. I hope it will be cheaper soon. :)
>
> In Japan, the maximum speed is 26Mbps (Down stream 26M / Up stream 1M).
> And the price is 3,838 JPY (= $33/mo).
> If you can read/understand Japanese, you can check Yahoo-Japan
> at http://bbpromo.yahoo.co.jp/ :)
>
> Cheers.
> --
> hide >

September 28th 03, 01:43 AM
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:36:33 GMT, "Earl Camembert" > wrote:

>"dr" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>> > I'm looking for ADSL high speed connection provider.
>> > But I can't find over 1.5Mbps connection speed in US.
>> > Actually When I lived in Japan, I could get 8Mbps, 12Mbps, and more high
>speed
>> > connection. But it's very cheap price just 3000 JPY (= 25 USD) per
>month.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know who has over 1.5Mbps ADSL connection provider in US?
>> > Or, nobody provide in US like Japanese provider?
>>
>> There are many factors here.
>>
>> Most DSL hardware can go up to 8mbps but the phone companies don't offer
>it
>> because most customers can't get it. This is due to the distance of the
>> wire run and the generally poor condition of the run from the DSLAM to a
>> house. I'm betting that in Japan, most of the wire is newer and due to
>> higher living densities, shorter. This means that a higher proportion of
>> the population can actually get higher speeds than 1.5mpbs. When I lived
>> in CT, I was on CO lines that were installed before WWII.
>>
>> As to costs, well a denser poplulation base means less fixed costs. Maybe.
>> But phone companies on both countries are highly regulated (maybe more in
>> Japan?) and there are varying rules and tax incentives which determine
>> pricing. Many times this counts much more than the pure economics of the
>> situation.
>>
>Japan and Korea have more fiber to the curb then the US but the US has more
>long legged blond women then both.

this is where Einsteins theory of relativity comes to play ;)
they have a small geographic region easy to lay abit of fiber and everybody
has FTTC, here we live miles apart from one another in many parts and it's
incredibly expensive, BUT it will happen

now long legged blondes will never grow there ;)

Google