FTTP: New Build Home

Old October 16th 17, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default FTTP: New Build Home

On 16 Oct 2017 13:38:55 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

How do you connect a home PC, internet radio, TV streaming box etc to
the internet without a landline?

Just because you have a pair of wires down which DSL is delivered, it
doesn't mean you have to use them for phone service. Some ISPs offer a
cheaper rental for the wires if there is no voice service provided.

Or, you could have cable to the premises (Virgin?)

Not available where I live.

Or you could have fibre to the premises; this is becoming more affordable.

I wish.

How do you phone anybody on a mobile when reception indoors is absolute
rubbish?

Use VoIP via your Internet connection; theer are apops for this.

Or something like a Vodafone Sure Signal.

Both of these things require an internet connection, which in my case
means a landline because that's the only option.

Rod.
Old October 16th 17, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 18:59:34 +0000, Tweed wrote:

tim... wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

Just because you have a pair of wires down which DSL is delivered, it
doesn't mean you have to use them for phone service. Some ISPs offer a
cheaper rental for the wires if there is no voice service provided.

do they
I've never seen one

tim

Andrews and Arnold. £10/month phone line rental if all it does is carry
your broadband. An exceptionally good ISP. Costs more than the average,
but is better than the average.

And, in fact, my ISP.
Old October 16th 17, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 16/10/2017 20:06, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Both of these things require an internet connection, which in my case
means a landline because that's the only option.

Same here, but it's not the same everywhere for everybody, that's the point.

Mark
Old October 17th 17, 02:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine

On 16/10/17 08:58, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
news

[snip]

Why don't people want a landline..?

because the one that I have is inundated with spam calls - mostly for
the previous owner (after 5 years)

Almost nobody that calls me uses it as the preferred contact method,
they all use my mobile

I do make some outgoing calls using the "free" bundles but I never use
it during the day - my mobile is cheaper (and that's on a PAYG tariff),
even though it is more convenient to hold under my chin than a mobile :-(

Nowadays, it serves no useful purpose except as an entry point to fast BB.

tim

Hmm, we rarely if ever get spam calls. This may sound silly, but have
you considered changing the number..?

Now we've got a new all-singing multi-function printer/copier, we've
just connected the landline to the fax input, then if anyone does
cold-call it, they'll get an earful of fax tones.

Our 6 SIP numbers rarely if ever get any cold calls.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old October 17th 17, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

On 16/10/17 08:58, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
news

[snip]

Why don't people want a landline..?

because the one that I have is inundated with spam calls - mostly for the
previous owner (after 5 years)

Almost nobody that calls me uses it as the preferred contact method, they
all use my mobile

I do make some outgoing calls using the "free" bundles but I never use it
during the day - my mobile is cheaper (and that's on a PAYG tariff), even
though it is more convenient to hold under my chin than a mobile :-(

Nowadays, it serves no useful purpose except as an entry point to fast
BB.

tim

Hmm, we rarely if ever get spam calls. This may sound silly, but have you
considered changing the number..?

if BT would do that for me for free yes

but I suspect that they wont

(I'm thinking of moving hose anyway so haven't bothered to ask)

Now we've got a new all-singing multi-function printer/copier, we've just
connected the landline to the fax input, then if anyone does cold-call it,
they'll get an earful of fax tones.

OMG

It's been 25 years since I did that

tim

Old October 17th 17, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Tweed" wrote in message
news
tim... wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:52:26 +0100, Roderick Stewart wrote:

How do you connect a home PC, internet radio, TV streaming box etc to
the internet without a landline?

Just because you have a pair of wires down which DSL is delivered, it
doesn't mean you have to use them for phone service. Some ISPs offer a
cheaper rental for the wires if there is no voice service provided.

do they

I've never seen one

tim

Andrews and Arnold. £10/month phone line rental if all it does is carry
your broadband. An exceptionally good ISP. Costs more than the average,
but
is better than the average.

I used to be with A&A with their incoming call only package

It might look like BB without a phone line, but there is no cost saving so
what's the point?

tim

Old October 17th 17, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 10:54:23 +0100, tim... wrote:

"Tweed" wrote in message
news
tim... wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:52:26 +0100, Roderick Stewart wrote:

How do you connect a home PC, internet radio, TV streaming box etc
to the internet without a landline?

Just because you have a pair of wires down which DSL is delivered, it
doesn't mean you have to use them for phone service. Some ISPs offer
a cheaper rental for the wires if there is no voice service provided.

do they

I've never seen one

tim

Andrews and Arnold. £10/month phone line rental if all it does is carry
your broadband. An exceptionally good ISP. Costs more than the average,
but is better than the average.

I used to be with A&A with their incoming call only package

It might look like BB without a phone line, but there is no cost saving
so what's the point?

The point is mainly for business. If the phone line is on a BT invoice
and shows no calls, some bean counter will cease it. Put it on the same
invoice as the BB and that is much less likely.

For home, it is cheaper than the cheapest BT deal. OK, you're paying more
for the BB anyway, but that's a separate issue.
Old October 17th 17, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 10:57:12 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 10:54:23 +0100, tim... wrote:

"Tweed" wrote in message
news
tim... wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

But BT have been ordered by Ofcom to drop the price of line rental by £5 per
month for customers not taking broadband from them, so the saving will soon
be less.
Old October 17th 17, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

"Tweed" wrote in message
news tim... wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

True. There will still be some saving (about £6 a month) and iit means I
don't have to deal with BT Retail at all.