FTTP: New Build Home

Old October 12th 17, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default FTTP: New Build Home

On Thursday, 12 October 2017 16:41:20 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 21:09:44 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
Went with my lad today to look at a new build flat for him.

To my amazement it had a BT FTTP install, complete with powered up
terminal equipment.

So, if he buys the place, and moves in, what are his options ?

BT are very clever about this and pay developers and provide material for
them to put their infrastructure in new build properties. The catch is
that the first owner or tenant has to pay the connection fee.

but this is normal

apart from leaving it unconnected and not having BB or a LL at all (which
many people now do)

what other option is there?

tim

If they pass - contact Virgin media or if you live in the City of London or one of Hyperoptic's cherry picked areas then Colt or they may be able to connect you.
Old October 12th 17, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

[...]

but you'll still have to pay the connection charge

Unless you want the full TV package, but that's mega bucks

tim

Old October 12th 17, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 12/10/2017 12:40, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 21:09:44 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
Went with my lad today to look at a new build flat for him.

To my amazement it had a BT FTTP install, complete with powered up
terminal equipment.

So, if he buys the place, and moves in, what are his options ?

BT are very clever about this and pay developers and provide material for them to put their infrastructure in new build properties. The catch is that the first owner or tenant has to pay the connection fee. £130 last time I looked for a phone line, don't know how much for fibre. You can go to another provider, but they will pass on the connection charge or want a very long tie in.

Depends what mood they are in. My mother in law moved into a new home,
BT waived the connection charge (because she signed up for an 18 month
contract) and despite the ADSL being separate with Plusnet

Rental will be higher than DSL, but not ridiculous.

Going by what Angus says, the rental will be the same as an equivalent
speed FTTC/VDSL connection ?

--
Mark
Old October 12th 17, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 12/10/2017 08:53, Mark Carver wrote:

Thanks Angus, so in short if he just 'innocently' applies for a 'fibre'
internet service with an ISP of his choice, it should all happen as if
it's an FTTC install ?* (There's already an Openreach box there,
blinking away, wish I'd taken a photo, but fibre was in one port, and a
CAT 5 cable dangling ready to plug into a CAT 5 distribution system the
builders have installed)

Presumably though he'll have to take a POTS service too ?

We have FTTP. We've ended up with 2 'phone sockets, one on POTS and the
other through the fibre box. We wanted to tear up the copper - it's in a
place that does nothing for the look of the house - but BT have cocked
something up and we can't receive calls on the fibre, only make them.

I can't comment on prices. We had a subsidised install - remote location.

Andy
Old October 12th 17, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss[_2_]

Mark Carver wrote:
Went with my lad today to look at a new build flat for him.

To my amazement it had a BT FTTP install, complete with powered up
terminal equipment.

So, if he buys the place, and moves in, what are his options ?

From Googling it seems that only a handful of ISPs offer a service.

He'll want unlimited usage, but I assume a 330 meg service will have
a price to match ?!

As he's a first time buyer, finances will be stretched, and being a
'young person' he'll have no interest in a voice line, but will that
still have to be provided ? (and how technically does that work with
no copper pair BTW ?)

He doesn't have to have a voice "line" but openreach will charge extra
for the data connection about £100 PA Ex VAT.

If there is no copper then the phone service is called Fibre voice
access (FVA).

In short, will it be possible to have an unlimited connection,
running at FTTC style speeds, at FTTC style priceS ?

I don't know about retail offerings, but the openreach rental prices are
similar.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/hom...loadPricing.do
Old October 13th 17, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 12 October 2017 21:11:23 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

Port the number to Voipfone and receive calls where you want.
Old October 13th 17, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 12 October 2017 19:36:37 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
[...]

You won't have to pay a BT connection charge for Virgin to install their own coax, but you might have to pay Virgin.

Virgin don't pass us, but they will provide service via Openreach (which does)
Old October 13th 17, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

[...]

of course

but you might have to pay Virgin.

yep, that's the point

if you want a phone line you have to pay a connection charge

thus the connection charge is a consequence of you wanting a phone (BB) line

it isn't, as was claimed by the PP, a consequence of BT pre-wring the
property under some secret dodgy backhand deal with the developer.

tim

Old October 13th 17, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_12_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Port the number to Voipfone and receive calls where you want.

If the number is associated with the FTTP 'line' then there's always a
risk of a further BT cock up ceasing the whole circuit ...

Old October 13th 17, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_12_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Virgin don't pass us, but they will provide service via Openreach (which does)

Don't think so any more, they ditched all their ADSL customers onto
mutter-mutter a few years back.