Sky router password

Old March 19th 07, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike[_3_]

Default Sky router password

I have had sky broadband for a week now, can't fault the delivery of
the router, conection was active on the day specified and the setup
was smooth (did it myself).

I was switching from NTL (virgin media) broadband so there was no mac
code involved. The connection speed is what I paid for 8mbps (most
of
the time) and at 5 pcm it's 13 cheaper than NTL.

The only issue I have is the netgear router security. With the
router
came a little card giving the preset SSID and network key. I presume
they are random but being a careful sort I decided to change them but
sky don't provide the admin password to access the settings.

I e-mailed sky support and they replied about 24 hrs later (well done
sky) with the login and password as well as helpful advice about
changing the router and wireless cards default passwords.

I've given the passwords below as they are so obvious and presumably
no one will have difficulty getting them. If someone is determined
and able to access your router they'll guess them anyway.

I assume that they are all the same therefore a potential security
risk so if you have one change the SSID and password quick. I have
copied the e-mail text below. Also worth keeping a written note of
the new SSID+password and hide the SSID as well for good measure.

To change the Security settings of your Sky WG111T adapter please
use
the following steps. Also please be aware you will need to change
then
Encryption type on the Broadband Box as well.
For the Broadband Box:

1. Open a new browser window
2. Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar
3. The Username is 'admin'
4. The Password is 'sky'
5. Now select ' Wireless Settings' this is located at the top of
the dark blue column on the left hand side of the screen.
6. If you now scroll down in the central white section you should
see the heading ' Security Options'.
7. Under this if you place a dot in the circle next to ' WEP '
8. The screen will now ask you for a 'Passphrase' if you can type
password into this (one of your own choice).
9. Now click on the button labelled ' Generate '
10. This will now populate the four ' Keys ' listed below. Place a
dot in the circle next to the 'key' you wish to use.
11. At the bottom of this screen is a button labelled ' Apply ' if
you click this it will save your settings to the router.

For the Adapter:

1. Please open your ' Netgear WG111T Smart Wizard - Wireless
Assistant'
2. In the box labelled ' Security ' you will see the different
Encryption options available.
3. Please select the type of Encryption you would like by placing
dot in the space next to it. This should be the same type as you
selected on the Broadband Box.
4. The wizard will have a space for a ' Passphrase ' or a '
Network
key' this is for the code you created on the Broadband Box.

If you continue to experience technical difficulties, please reply to
this email or call us on 08705 515 515. Lines are open 24 hours a
day.

(re-posted from uk.media.tv.sky)

Old March 19th 07, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...

7. Under this if you place a dot in the circle next to ' WEP '

So you suggest taking a pretty secure WPA setting and change it to a
WEP setting which anyone can hack in a few hours.

Users, stick with WPA it is far better.

Do change the default password from sky.