NetGear- Flashing Internet Light

Old July 3rd 10, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DE

Default NetGear- Flashing Internet Light

I have a Sky Netgear router and leave it plugged in overnight.This morning
I've noticed the Internet light which is normally a steady green is today
flashing green rapidly.

I rebooted the router and the colour changed from amber to steady green and
then flashing green.

I can still access the Internet via the router although speed is slightly
slower, not that I get high speeds living 3 miles from the exchange.

Any ideas ?

DE

Old July 3rd 10, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , DE
writes
I have a Sky Netgear router and leave it plugged in overnight.This morning
I've noticed the Internet light which is normally a steady green is today
flashing green rapidly.

I rebooted the router and the colour changed from amber to steady green and
then flashing green.

I can still access the Internet via the router although speed is slightly
slower, not that I get high speeds living 3 miles from the exchange.

Any ideas ?

DE

Quick follow up to my previous note.

Switch your computer off. If the green light keeps flashing, then
someone else is using your wireless connection. If it stops flashing and
starts again when you reboot your own machine then its something on your
machine.

You aren't by any chance participating in a P2P file sharing network are
you?
--
Invalid
Old July 3rd 10, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , DE
writes
I have a Sky Netgear router and leave it plugged in overnight.This morning
I've noticed the Internet light which is normally a steady green is today
flashing green rapidly.

I rebooted the router and the colour changed from amber to steady green and
then flashing green.

I can still access the Internet via the router although speed is slightly
slower, not that I get high speeds living 3 miles from the exchange.

Any ideas ?

DE

Somebody or something is using your Internet connection. The light
flashes when there is traffic on the ADSL line. Amber in no link, steady
green is connected but with no traffic.

Run scans for virii and trojans. You machine may be infected and being
used to send spam.

Check the list of connected devices. make sure you change your wireless
password.
--
Invalid
Old July 3rd 10, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DE

Default NetGear- Flashing Internet Light CLEARED

"
Somebody or something is using your Internet connection. The light flashes
when there is traffic on the ADSL line. Amber in no link, steady green is
connected but with no traffic.

Run scans for virii and trojans. You machine may be infected and being
used to send spam.

Check the list of connected devices. make sure you change your wireless
password.
--
Invalid

OP HERE

During the course of 5 hours (no internet use)the flashing got less and
less and I now have a steady green light. I don't use the wireless point, it
is disabled.
In this hot weather I'm going to unplug the router each night.

DE

Old July 3rd 10, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie[_3_]

DE wrote:
"
Somebody or something is using your Internet connection. The light
flashes when there is traffic on the ADSL line. Amber in no link,
steady green is connected but with no traffic.

Run scans for virii and trojans. You machine may be infected and
being used to send spam.

Check the list of connected devices. make sure you change your
wireless password.
--
Invalid

OP HERE

During the course of 5 hours (no internet use)the flashing got less
and less and I now have a steady green light. I don't use the
wireless point, it is disabled.
In this hot weather I'm going to unplug the router each night.

Which will probably slow your connection down

Tim

Old July 3rd 10, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , DE
writes

"
Somebody or something is using your Internet connection. The light flashes
when there is traffic on the ADSL line. Amber in no link, steady green is
connected but with no traffic.

Run scans for virii and trojans. You machine may be infected and being
used to send spam.

Check the list of connected devices. make sure you change your wireless
password.
--
Invalid

OP HERE

During the course of 5 hours (no internet use)the flashing got less and
less and I now have a steady green light. I don't use the wireless point, it
is disabled.
In this hot weather I'm going to unplug the router each night.

DE

Then either you have been feeding a P2P file sharing network - with or
without your knowledge, or your computer is part of a spam botnet and
they have finished using you (for now!).

Either would account for your slower than usual download speeds.

My advice to check your PC still stands.
--
Invalid
Old July 3rd 10, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DE

Then either you have been feeding a P2P file sharing network - with or
without your knowledge, or your computer is part of a spam botnet and they
have finished using you (for now!).

Either would account for your slower than usual download speeds.

My advice to check your PC still stands.
--
Invalid

OP HERE
You seem paranoid, I only had the flashing light for about 7 hours which was
my reason for enquiring here as to the cause. As I said everything is fine
now. I have also checked my Sky Broadband stats and i have used all of
0.07GB in the last 24 hours !

DE

Old July 3rd 10, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"DE" wrote in message

Then either you have been feeding a P2P file sharing network - with or
without your knowledge, or your computer is part of a spam botnet and
they have finished using you (for now!).

Either would account for your slower than usual download speeds.

My advice to check your PC still stands.
--
Invalid

OP HERE
You seem paranoid, I only had the flashing light for about 7 hours which
was my reason for enquiring here as to the cause. As I said everything is
fine now. I have also checked my Sky Broadband stats and i have used all
of 0.07GB in the last 24 hours !

It's just the general background 'noise' which is normally there. If it
worries you that much turn the router around....

Old July 3rd 10, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , DE
writes

Then either you have been feeding a P2P file sharing network - with or
without your knowledge, or your computer is part of a spam botnet and they
have finished using you (for now!).

Either would account for your slower than usual download speeds.

My advice to check your PC still stands.
--
Invalid

OP HERE
You seem paranoid, I only had the flashing light for about 7 hours which was
my reason for enquiring here as to the cause. As I said everything is fine
now. I have also checked my Sky Broadband stats and i have used all of
0.07GB in the last 24 hours !

DE

Perhaps I am. But you had a seven hour period which persisted through a
router restart when there was "unexplained" Internet traffic through
your router which has now stopped. It can't be "just the general
background 'noise' which is normally there" as suggested by Kraftee
otherwise it would not have stopped.As Sherlock Holmes was inclined to
say "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however
improbable, must be the truth".

0.07Gb is 20-25,000 typical (3kb) spam e-mails

At one per second (= 3-4000/hour) that would just about account for
the traffic. If they "borrow" your machine once a week your machine is
responsible for 1.25 Million spam e-mails a year.

So what caused it? Computers ( including your router) are finite state
machines - they only do what their instructions tell them to. If my
explanation of a possible cause doesn't suit you, find your own!
--
Invalid
Old July 3rd 10, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John[_42_]

Invalid wrote:
In message , DE
writes

[...]

Programs like your antivirus, firewall, Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, Adobe
Reader, Java and a miriad of others will regularly "phone home" as it were
to check for updates and pass information, all without any intervention from
you, the end user - so yes, it was, is, and ever shall be, background noise.
No need for paranoia here.

Internet TV Mihaius Cable Modems 1 October 3rd 07 06:30 PM
A lot of people think AOL is a *BAD* thing. NH UK broadband 7 December 2nd 06 09:39 PM
SBC Yahoo 5100 Modem - Internet Light is not on DLC General DSL & broadband 4 March 4th 04 03:52 PM
SBC Yahoo 5100 Modem - Internet Light is not on DLC General DSL & broadband 0 March 4th 04 01:52 AM
Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router Connection Problem Paul Tremblay General DSL & broadband 0 February 1st 04 10:20 PM