RJ11 to RJ45 Connection

Old March 5th 04, 09:27 PM
Andy Kaye

Default RJ11 to RJ45 Connection

My ADSL 4 port Router switch mysteriously went duff following a visit
from a BT engineer - not my fault guv, so I had to buy a new one.

Originally, the cable from the ADSL filter to the router had RJ11
plugs at each end. The new router expects the internet connection to
come in on an RJ45.

My question is...How can I connect the RJ11 plug to an RJ45 socket? Or
does someone sell a cable with one plug at each end?
Old March 5th 04, 09:30 PM
Martin

just plug it in. You can plug an RJ11 cable into an RJ45 socket...(obviously
not the other way around).

m...

Old March 5th 04, 10:15 PM
Bigmaggot

You need to buy a modem then. I suspect your previous router had a modem
built in, and your new one doesn't!

Andy

m...

Old March 6th 04, 12:23 AM
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:30:46 -0000, "Martin" wrote:

just plug it in. You can plug an RJ11 cable into an RJ45 socket...(obviously
not the other way around).

If the new one has RJ45, its possible its a wan ethernet port, not a
telephone port. Plugging in an rj11 cable will do squat.

Old March 6th 04, 03:18 AM
Baz

"Martin" wrote in message
just plug it in. You can plug an RJ11 cable into an RJ45

socket...(obviously
not the other way around).

I forget my terminology, but, you're quite right.

An RJ11 (small, square, 4-pin, as used by analogue modems and DSL modems)
male plug will fit perfectly well into an RJ45 (CAT5) socket.
I never believed it, and was amazed last weekend when I had cause to try
this out.

Baz

Old March 6th 04, 03:26 AM
Baz

"Baz" wrote in message

I forget my terminology, but, you're quite right.

An RJ11 (small, square, 4-pin, as used by analogue modems and DSL modems)
male plug will fit perfectly well into an RJ45 (CAT5) socket.
I never believed it, and was amazed last weekend when I had cause to try
this out.

I should mention:
I base the above upon my circumstances.
BT Openworld engineer install.
Faceplate had RJ45 (to an extension, with USB Speedtouch) and a phone
socket.

Now using D-Link DSL-504 connected directly to faceplate (RJ11 into RJ45)
and phone socket.

Of course, like Bigmaggot sez, you can only use router/modems with ADSL, as
you need devices that support PPPoA.
If your new router doesn't support PPPoA, then buy a DSL modem, and daisy
chain it into your setup. (Or ditch it all, and buy a PPPoA
router/modem/switch).

Baz

Old March 6th 04, 08:11 AM
Andy Kaye

Thanks for the posts. I'll return the new modem. It says it is a Cable
DSL Router Switch but I guess I need an ADSL modem router switch.

You win some you lose some.

"Bigmaggot" wrote in message ...
You need to buy a modem then. I suspect your previous router had a modem
built in, and your new one doesn't!

Andy

m...

Old March 8th 04, 09:15 PM
Martin

i know so. An RJ11 will fit into an RJ45 - it is designed to be that way.
Fact.

Ummmm, don't think so!!!!

"Martin" wrote in message
just plug it in. You can plug an RJ11 cable into an RJ45

socket...(obviously
not the other way around).

"Andy Kaye" wrote in message
m...
My ADSL 4 port Router switch mysteriously went duff following a visit
from a BT engineer - not my fault guv, so I had to buy a new one.

Originally, the cable from the ADSL filter to the router had RJ11
plugs at each end. The new router expects the internet connection to
come in on an RJ45.

My question is...How can I connect the RJ11 plug to an RJ45 socket? Or
does someone sell a cable with one plug at each end?

Using ADSL connection with ZyXEL P645R-A1 and D-Link DI714P+ Roscoe General DSL & broadband 0 October 3rd 04 09:24 AM
Using ADSL connection with ZyXEL P645R-A1 and D-Link DI714P+ Roscoe General DSL & broadband 0 October 3rd 04 09:24 AM
Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router Connection Problem Paul Tremblay General DSL & broadband 0 February 1st 04 10:20 PM
RJ45 or RJ11 Kathy Burke UK broadband 10 January 17th 04 10:09 AM
AOL -> DSL ? (was a modem connection) Earl F. Parrish General DSL & broadband 3 November 1st 03 04:52 PM